Re: [CALBIRDS] Eurasian Collared Dove in California

  • Lilith Mageborn
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2007
      Why are Orange Bishops more reported than EC Doves? My guess is that they
      are brighter and more exotic, thus lending themselves to being noticed
      more often, while the EC Doves, from a distance, bear a resemblance to
      Mourning Doves in general -- from a *distance.* Non-birders are more
      likely to notice the OBs, because doves are very common (and largely
      share that same greyish tan coloring) around SoCal to the point of, at
      times, being a nuisance when they fill trees with non-stop cooing and
      calling. (Believe me. I lived in a Garden Grove neighborhood for two
      years at one point, and there were large flocks of Mourning Doves and
      American Crows in the trees and on the ground. I'll take the crows *any*
      day over the doves.) Anyway, that's my guess.

      When I was in St. George, Utah, last July, I found several EC Doves, in
      keeping with Tom's comment below. St. George is expanding but far from
      being urban since the outskirts are rural (where I found the ECDs),
      followed by many miles of redrock desert and desert.

      Just my penny's worth.

      Sue Jorgenson
      Anaheim CA

    • Hank Brodkin
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2007
        I wouldn't be surprised if they are in all of the central and southern
        counties and in Inyo.
        They have also spread into Arizona, Sonora and Chihuahua at least. In
        Arizona they seem to pop up in small towns - in the middle of the Sonora
        Desert miles from anywhere. I am sure if you checked (and maybe have)
        places like China Lake, Borrego Springs, Big Pine, etc. they would be there.

        Hank Brodkin
        Carr Canyon, Cochise County, AZ
        hbrodkin@...
        "Butterflies of Arizona - a Photographic Guide"
        http://members.cox.net/hbrodkin/
        1a. Eurasian Collared Dove in California
        Posted by: "SiriusGuy@..." SiriusGuy@... siriusguy50

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 3, 2007
          One good source of information on reported locations is www.eBird.org
          <http://www.ebird.org/> . You can do a search by species and location
          and it will generate a map. Here is the data available for Eurasian
          Collared Dove on eBird for California. It will generate a map if you
          hit the tab on the top right.

          http://ebird.org/go/GuideMe?source=changeLocation&speciesCodes=eucdov&re
          portType=species&bMonth=01&bYear=2003&eMonth=12&eYear=2007&parentState=U
          S-NY&getLocations=states&states=US-CA&countyState=US-NY&hotspotState=US-
          NY&bcrState=US-NY&continue.x=13&continue.y=3&continue=Continue

          Thanks. Graham

          Graham Chisholm
          Deputy State Director &
          Conservation Director
          Audubon California
          4225 Hollis Street
          Emeryville, California 94608
          Tel. 510-601-1866/w
          Tel. 510-301-9407/c
          Fax 510-601-1954

        • Bill Miller
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2007
            Eurasian collared doves have also been reported as far north as Humboldt and
            Siskiyou counties.

            --
            Bill Miller
            Marysville, CA

          • Nate Dias
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
              Allow me to share some east coast perspective.

              ECD have been firmly established in coastal South
              Carolina for over a decade. Here, they favor the
              developed sea islands (in particular dry, scrubby
              beachfront areas) over any other habitat type.

              ECD are also well-established in our rural,
              agricultural areas and in suburban areas around cities
              and towns.

              In certain coastal places like Sullivan's Island, SC -
              ECD are the predominate Dove, having supplanted
              Mourning Doves from that category. They seem to be in
              the process of doing this in portions of adjacent
              Mount Pleasant, SC (on the mainland).

              Have no doubt that Eurasian Collared-Doves are in CA
              to stay and that their presence will affect other bird
              species, in particular other Doves.

              I am a bit fearful of the long-term effect of ECD on
              Inca Doves in (sub)urban areas in places like SE
              Arizona.

              However, the presence of ECD is not bad news for all
              birds - for example the Cooper's Hawks that nest in my
              neighborhood. They seem to welcome ECDs filling the
              Passenger Pigeon's place on the menu.

              Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC

              Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.