Re: [CALBIRDS] Eurasian Collared Dove in California

  • Thomas Miko
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2007
      I'd welcome others' comments on this, but I have noticed that the Eurasian Collared Doves in the American Southwest are more rural or at best suburban, than the birds in Europe. From Budapest to Athens to Istambul, I am quite used to seeing them in large cities, while the birds here seem far more rural in their habits i.e. habitat choice. I wonder if this is a reflection of the original colonizing population that they come from (???).
      Do the ones from Texas to Florida reside in large cities i.e. urban environments, or are they more rural there, also?
      Tom

      >From: SiriusGuy@...
      >Date: 2007/02/02 Fri AM 11:33:36 CST
      >To: CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [CALBIRDS] Eurasian Collared Dove in California

      ><<Why is it that Eurasian Collared Doves go so completely under reported?
      >We hear more instances of people seeing Orange Bishops than we do of Collared
      >Doves and yet the latter is much less likely an escapee! Any thoughts?>>
      >

      >I suspect the perception by many would be that in the case of today's
      >"exotic" bird, ECDU, these will prove to be tomorrow's "house sparrow." I recall
      >that soon after I took up birding a few years ago, these were the first birds
      >I identified in Florida, while eating dinner outside my arrival night there.
      >Clearly there must be something about this species that makes it readily
      >able to compete, in many different locations.
      >
      >Perhaps by now, the question would be which California counties has ECDU so
      >far NOT been found? The question for tomorrow likely will be how well will
      >Mourning Doves and Spotted Doves compete for similar ecological niches with this
      > westerly-migrating cousin.
      >
      >Alan Birnbaum
      >Fresno, CA

      >For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email to these addresses:
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Thomas Miko (Mikó Tamás)

      thomas.miko@...
      thomas_miko@...

      653 S. Indian Hill Blvd., #C
      Claremont, CA 91711
      U.S.A.
      34.109167 N, 117.718293 W

      home: (909) 445-1456
      cell: (626) 390-1935
      work: (323) 226-7855

      "Luck favors the backbone, not the wishbone."-Doyle Brunson
    • Lilith Mageborn
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2007
        Why are Orange Bishops more reported than EC Doves? My guess is that they
        are brighter and more exotic, thus lending themselves to being noticed
        more often, while the EC Doves, from a distance, bear a resemblance to
        Mourning Doves in general -- from a *distance.* Non-birders are more
        likely to notice the OBs, because doves are very common (and largely
        share that same greyish tan coloring) around SoCal to the point of, at
        times, being a nuisance when they fill trees with non-stop cooing and
        calling. (Believe me. I lived in a Garden Grove neighborhood for two
        years at one point, and there were large flocks of Mourning Doves and
        American Crows in the trees and on the ground. I'll take the crows *any*
        day over the doves.) Anyway, that's my guess.

        When I was in St. George, Utah, last July, I found several EC Doves, in
        keeping with Tom's comment below. St. George is expanding but far from
        being urban since the outskirts are rural (where I found the ECDs),
        followed by many miles of redrock desert and desert.

        Just my penny's worth.

        Sue Jorgenson
        Anaheim CA

      • Hank Brodkin
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 3, 2007
          I wouldn't be surprised if they are in all of the central and southern
          counties and in Inyo.
          They have also spread into Arizona, Sonora and Chihuahua at least. In
          Arizona they seem to pop up in small towns - in the middle of the Sonora
          Desert miles from anywhere. I am sure if you checked (and maybe have)
          places like China Lake, Borrego Springs, Big Pine, etc. they would be there.

          Hank Brodkin
          Carr Canyon, Cochise County, AZ
          hbrodkin@...
          "Butterflies of Arizona - a Photographic Guide"
          http://members.cox.net/hbrodkin/
          1a. Eurasian Collared Dove in California
          Posted by: "SiriusGuy@..." SiriusGuy@... siriusguy50

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2007
            One good source of information on reported locations is www.eBird.org
            <http://www.ebird.org/> . You can do a search by species and location
            and it will generate a map. Here is the data available for Eurasian
            Collared Dove on eBird for California. It will generate a map if you
            hit the tab on the top right.

            http://ebird.org/go/GuideMe?source=changeLocation&speciesCodes=eucdov&re
            portType=species&bMonth=01&bYear=2003&eMonth=12&eYear=2007&parentState=U
            S-NY&getLocations=states&states=US-CA&countyState=US-NY&hotspotState=US-
            NY&bcrState=US-NY&continue.x=13&continue.y=3&continue=Continue

            Thanks. Graham

            Graham Chisholm
            Deputy State Director &
            Conservation Director
            Audubon California
            4225 Hollis Street
            Emeryville, California 94608
            Tel. 510-601-1866/w
            Tel. 510-301-9407/c
            Fax 510-601-1954

          • Bill Miller
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 3, 2007
              Eurasian collared doves have also been reported as far north as Humboldt and
              Siskiyou counties.

              --
              Bill Miller
              Marysville, CA

            • Nate Dias
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
                Allow me to share some east coast perspective.

                ECD have been firmly established in coastal South
                Carolina for over a decade. Here, they favor the
                developed sea islands (in particular dry, scrubby
                beachfront areas) over any other habitat type.

                ECD are also well-established in our rural,
                agricultural areas and in suburban areas around cities
                and towns.

                In certain coastal places like Sullivan's Island, SC -
                ECD are the predominate Dove, having supplanted
                Mourning Doves from that category. They seem to be in
                the process of doing this in portions of adjacent
                Mount Pleasant, SC (on the mainland).

                Have no doubt that Eurasian Collared-Doves are in CA
                to stay and that their presence will affect other bird
                species, in particular other Doves.

                I am a bit fearful of the long-term effect of ECD on
                Inca Doves in (sub)urban areas in places like SE
                Arizona.

                However, the presence of ECD is not bad news for all
                birds - for example the Cooper's Hawks that nest in my
                neighborhood. They seem to welcome ECDs filling the
                Passenger Pigeon's place on the menu.

                Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC

                Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.