RE: Smew's Disappearance
- Greetings once again!
While waiting for the Smew, many birders talked about what might have
happened. Here's a synopsis of the possibilities discussed :-) :
Top Ten Reasons the Smew Didn't Show Up Yesterday :-)
10. It's a nice pond and the locals were pleasant, but after a few
days it got boring and too confining.
9. His owner decided not to let him out of the pen that day.
8. A long time conservative, he was miffed at the presence of a
reporter from the liberal Modesto Bee.
7. He was homesick and flew to a location where his cell phone
coverage was better.
6. This Smew is a Jew. He kept the Sabbath privately at an
5. A passing Peregrine decided to try a new dish: Smew Stew!
4. His new agent booked him for one week only.
3. He was tired of being oogled by birders who were just interested
in his plumage and didn't really appreciate him for his mind and
2. His "Hooded" companions took him on a tour of Tuolumne Co. ponds
not usually visited by birders.
And the no. 1 reason: Because I decided to chase the bird at the last
minute. (Most rarities react the same way.) Sorry, everyone else!
I do hope he returns!
VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3Ztc2cEc3RpbWUDMTE3MDAwMzUyMQ--> The Smew Flew
Posted by: "StevenUm"
sumland@... <http://profiles.yahoo.com/StevenUm> StevenUm
Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:36 am (PST)
As of 8 AM today (Sunday the 28th), the Smew was not sighted. The
flock of Hooded Mergansers that usually appeared with it were gone
yesterday and today also.
Sonora, CA, Tuolumne Co.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]