More on Masked Booby

  • wagtail1997
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2002
      Gary Meredith and I arrived at La Jolla this morning about 8:20 am.
      We were told the Masked Booby had left about 20 minutes earlier.
      About 9:40 am I saw the bird approaching the rocky cliff area. At
      times, it was mobbed by a Western Gull. I took digital photos from
      Cave Street using a big C5 telescope at distance, and have posted a
      collage of those photos on Calbirds in FILES, PHOTOS, PELAGIC BIRDS
      (subfolders). I do want to add to the directions to the bird as we
      did get confused at the end. It turns out that "old Shell Shop"
      familiar to San Diego birders (obviously) was once a Shell Shop but
      nowhere on the sign of the store does the word Shell appear nor are
      there any shells in evidence in the store's windows. Instead, the
      store/shop on the right side of the road just above the Booby roost
      has the words "The Cave" on the sign. Second... the instructions say
      there is a walkway along the cliffs... I assumed that meant a hiking
      trail above "Shell Shop" but it doesn't... instead what is meant is
      that one walks along Cave Street on a bluff. If you walk down from
      "Shell Shop" along a dirt path to a viewing area where there is a
      congregation of Cormorants and Pelicans you probably won't see the
      Booby which, when we were there, was sitting on a lower shelf.
      Instead the best viewing from my vantage point was from Cave Street
      anywhere from below the first small parking area on the right along
      the street to the next parking area on the right. Although it is
      convenient to park near "Shell Shop", there are only about 1/2 dozen
      parking spots and I'm sure the "The Cave" people are not going to be
      happy about the taking of those parking spots. There is a two hour
      limit on those spots, while the next parking area on the right has a 3
      hour limit. Good luck... it's a pretty bird... a lot easier to see
      than the Masked Booby that turned up at Pt. Mugu a few years ago.
      Joel Weintraub
      Dana Point, CA