Varied thrush locations in N CA?

  • Dr Stephen Barlow
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2002
      I'd like to thank everyone for their info on Varied Thrush and my
      various other target species for a trip to N. California. As a result
      of the consensus of this advice, I included Mendocino Co as a main
      part of my plan. After a couple of days visiting a non-birding friend
      in the E SF Bay area, had a couple of days birding round Fort Bragg,
      then a long day driving down to Bodega Bay, then through the coast
      ranges (stopping Guerneville and Anderson SHP) to Williams. The next
      day went round Sacramento NWR and Colusa NWR, and had an hour or so
      in L. Merritt Park in Oakland before catching the plane back. I
      managed to see all the target species I asked about and more. I
      haven't totalled my list up yet, but here are some of the more
      interesting birds I had:

      RED-NECKED GREBE - Laguna Pt (McKerricher SP), Noyo Hbr mouth, Bodega Hbr mouth
      LAYSAN ALBATROSS - 1, Pt Arena cove
      CATTLE EGRET - 1, Lake Merritt
      EMPEROR GOOSE - 1, Bodega Bay
      TUNDRA SWAN - Garcia river nr Pt Arena and NE of Sacramento NWR
      WOOD DUCK - McKerricher SP and Anderson State Hist. Park
      HARLEQUIN DUCK - 7 (5m, 2f) in the surf at Glass Beach, F. Bragg
      BARROW'S GOLDENEYE - Lake Merritt
      HOODED MERGANSER - 1m + 1f, Sacramento NWR
      BALD EAGLE - 3 birds, Sacramento and Colusa NWRs
      PEREGRINE - several along the coast
      RUFF - 1, Bodega Bay
      ROCK SANDPIPER - 2, Laguna Pt
      THAYER'S GULL - 1st winters on the beach at Van Damme SP and at the
      mouth of the Russian River
      SHORT-EARED OWL - 3, Anderson State Hist. Park (this was somewhere I
      stopped for a quick break from driving and which turned out to be
      really rather good)
      LEWIS'S WOODPECKER - 1, Anderson State Hist. Park
      DUSKY-CAPPED FLYCATCHER - 1, L. Merritt
      AMERICAN DIPPER - Russian Gulch SP
      VARIED THRUSH - Russian Gulch SP, McKerricher SP (boardwalk round the
      lake), Van Damme SP
      SOOTY FOX SPARROW - no trouble finding these (one of my targets)
      along the coast! Had my 1st on a trip to Alcatraz with my non-birding
      friend
      COMMMON GRACKLE - 1m, Guerneville
      YELLOW-BILLED MAGPIE - several in the Central Valley
      GRAY JAY - 2 in the lower campground at Van Damme SP

      Thanks again to all who proferred advice and especially to those I
      didn't get round to thanking individually.
      Cheers
      Steve

      Dr Stephen Barlow
      Department of Chemistry