Masked Booby

  • Douglas Aguillard
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2002
      Since nobody has posted the info. I was not present today, but have heard
      from people that the Masked Booby showed up again tonight to roost on the
      rocks of La Jolla Cove. Many fellow birders saw it, and directions have
      been posted already.

      Good Luck,

      Douglas Aguillard
      San Diego, CA
      doug@...

      The Birds, Butterflies, & Dragonflies of San Diego County-
      http://sdbirds.basiclink.com
    • Don Adams
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 2, 2002
        The Masked Booby that has been at the cave at La Jolla Cove in La Jolla flew
        into it's favorite roost on the flat rock at 9:38 AM on 1/2/02. It was
        still present when I left at 10:30 AM. If the photographers do not get to
        close, it my stay for awhile. See previous posts for directions.

        Don Adams
        San Diego, CA
        DKAdams@...
      • Bob Miller
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 4, 2002
          Am I missing something here? I thought the cliffs were kind of dangerous and off limits, therefore the rails along the trails. So, if it is ok for birders to climb all over them, what the heck, why would anyone complain of teenagers climbing them at night. Do the birds resting there in the day time not need as much respect as the ones roosting there at night? The third email I saw on SDBirds, after I posted about having pictures on our website, was from someone who was concerned that the "photographers" would scare it off. My first thought was that he did not realize that the pictures were taken from the side of the street and on the same trail that everyone is supposed to be on. Then I read that people were taking pictures within ten feet and I thought man, that bird has moved really close!!
          Am I going to see pictures on the front page of the Union -Tribune of birders and bird photographers climbing all over the cliffs? Boy, there is a great way to set an example. Tomorrow will be the first weekend since the discovery of the Masked Booby and I will bet that many of you are headed out to see this most awesome bird. I can tell you it is beautiful and that I had every bit of a life look at a life bird from where we were meant to be.
          Please tell me that this, (my first ever public rant, I think?), is way off base and I totally misunderstood what is going on out there!
          PS, enjoy your trip to see the Masked Booby!!

          (!__!)
          (0V0) HAPPY BIRDING
          {}~~{} BOB MILLER
          =='''='''==
          Imperial, CA
          SouthWest Birders
          760.355.1008
          http://www.southwestbirders.com
          bob.miller@...

        • John Martin
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 5, 2002
            Bob, your rant is entirely appropriate. Whether birders rely on the code of
            ethics of a birding organization, or their own common sense and
            consideration for others, it's important 1) not to disturb the bird and
            cause it to expend more precious energy than it would otherwise expend, and
            2) not to scare it away and cause a fellow birder, who drove from Temecula
            or Sacramento or Portland and only has 2 hours to look for the bird, to miss
            it. Dang, I encountered the same problem as birders were swarming around
            the Nutting's Flycatcher in Orange County. There are always a few foul
            balls willing to risk someone else's lifer so that they might get another
            photo from ridiculously close. I saw the Booby the evening of New Year's
            Day, and got a great look from well back on the hill, where I'm confident I
            wasn't disturbing ANY birds, incuding the booby. Some boor, whom I had let
            use my scope to look at the bird from a reasonable distance, apparently
            thought that wasn't good enough and clambered down onto the rocks until he
            was about 10 feet from the bird. While it didn't fly immediately, it was
            indeed disturbed, as it held it's head high, switching its head back and
            forth. It had previously been mostly resting with its head tucked, but
            looking out several times in the half-hour that we watched, offering fine
            views of its dark mask and greenish-yellow bill. How much did this fellow's
            antics contribute to the bird's discontent? How much shorter a period of
            time will it remain in La Jolla because some people insist on walking right
            up to it? By the way, if any birders cause a Brown Pelican any apprehension
            as they scale the rocks in quest of the booby, that constitutes harassment,
            and those birders are in violation of the Endangered Species Act. So
            people, have some respect for the birds, and your fellow birders, and watch
            the bird from a reasonable distance.

            John Martin

            > Am I missing something here? I thought the cliffs were kind of
            dangerous and off limits, therefore the rails along the trails. So, if it
            is ok for birders to climb all over them, what the heck, why would anyone
            complain of teenagers climbing them at night. Do the birds resting there in
            the day time not need as much respect as the ones roosting there at night?
            The third email I saw on SDBirds, after I posted about having pictures on
            our website, was from someone who was concerned that the "photographers"
            would scare it off. My first thought was that he did not realize that the
            pictures were taken from the side of the street and on the same trail that
            everyone is supposed to be on. Then I read that people were taking
            pictures within ten feet and I thought man, that bird has moved really
            close!!
            > Am I going to see pictures on the front page of the Union -Tribune of
            birders and bird photographers climbing all over the cliffs? Boy, there is
            a great way to set an example. Tomorrow will be the first weekend since the
            discovery of the Masked Booby and I will bet that many of you are headed out
            to see this most awesome bird. I can tell you it is beautiful and that I
            had every bit of a life look at a life bird from where we were meant to be.
            > Please tell me that this, (my first ever public rant, I think?), is
            way off base and I totally misunderstood what is going on out there!
            > PS, enjoy your trip to see the Masked Booby!!
            >

            > (!__!)
            > (0V0) HAPPY BIRDING
            > {}~~{} BOB MILLER
            > =='''='''==
            > Imperial, CA
            > SouthWest Birders
            > 760.355.1008
            > http://www.southwestbirders.com
            > bob.miller@...

            Membership and set your mail option to No Email.

          • Bob Miller
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 12, 2002
              I just read, with great disappointment, of the possible death of the
              Masked Booby. I sincerely hope that is not the case. I was fortunate to be
              there on New Years day when it made a truly grand entry. Another birder,
              who was there that day, wrote that he had returned to see it about a week
              later. He was amazed to see a number of birders standing ON the spot where
              the Booby had first landed that day. Having seen that spot myself, I could
              not imagine people being out there. I have not been back to the site
              since. Am I wrong? Are those cliffs an area that is open and accessible
              to the public? Knowing that there are dozens of possible reasons that the
              Masked Booby was perched " where the Booby was very low on the cliffs, near
              the water, and a large wave swept the booby into a crevice"

              The question must be asked, were birders occupying it's preferred perches?

              (!__!)
              (0V0) HAPPY BIRDING
              {}~~{} BOB MILLER
              =='''='''==
              Imperial, CA
              SouthWest Birders
              760.355.1008
              http://www.southwestbirders.com
              bob.miller@...
            • Ed Stonick
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 13, 2002
                I believe it may have been a factor. We saw the Booby last Sunday morning,
                and there was at least one photographer who walked out on the rock, right
                past the warning signs. Ironically, she was in a position about 10-15 from
                the bird but unable to see it because it was over a short rise. The spot
                where the bird actually was, however, was too high to be affected by waves.
                Another observer had been there a few days earlier when someone walked out
                to get a closer look at the bird and wound up flushing it.

                Regards,
                Ed

                stonicks@...

              • MiriamEagl@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 13, 2002
                  Hi, Bob,

                  In a message dated 01/12/02 10:28:55 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                  bob.miller@... writes:

                  > Are those cliffs an area that is open and accessible
                  > to the public?

                  No: there are signs clearing marking the area as "closed" (this is just
                  beyond the observation deck. I suppose it's "legal" to poke around the rocks
                  immediately surrounding the deck (I did, anyway, I admit), but the signs
                  beyond that are clear.

                  Mary Beth Stowe
                  San Diego, CA
                  MiriamEagl@...

                • mhast27
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 13, 2002
                    From what we have been told today ...The Masked Booby has NOT been seen the last three days Marjorie and Don

                    Marjorie Hastings
                    Spring Valley,CA

                    "To love what you do
                    and feel that it matters....
                    how could anything
                    be more fun?"

                  • topazlisa
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 18, 2002
                      This issue has not been addressed and very well should be. A
                      bird, just because it was in a place not normally seen, was hounded
                      to injury and probable death. This was done, according to the posts,
                      not just by new birders "who didn't know better" but by "dedicated
                      birders". With the pictures to prove it.
                      In good conscience I feel as if I have to unsubscribe to this
                      and the other bird lists I am on. If I'm lucky enough to find a real
                      rarity, I will watch it and then quietly walk away telling no one but
                      my life list and my husband. I know many will not agree with me but
                      I'll sleep better knowing I am not the cause of some bird's death.
                      Many people speak of morals, ethics and responsibility I believe
                      there are many people who need to re-examine their values.

                      Lisa Trueman
                    • COBB_ROGER
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 18, 2002
                        A Masked Booby is currently at the Wetlands and Wildlife Center of
                        Huntington Beach. "Found injured in Corona del Mar with a fish hook in it's
                        stomach". See story at www.latimes.com/tcn/pilot/.
                        Pretty likely the very same bird.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 18, 2002
                          I have kept rather quiet on this issue, but finally I will address it. The
                          La Jolla Booby was NOT KILLED BY THE PHOTOGRAPHERS. If it is indeed DEAD!
                          (We don't know this to be true, and probably never will). There were
                          unusually high waves that entire week. The bird was swept into the rock
                          crevices along the cliffs at least twice during that week. If it was
                          killed, then it was Mother Nature that did it. The bird was photographed at
                          close ranges by photographers, but never appeared to be stressed by them.
                          The entire name of "Booby" came from the sailors who observed that the
                          birds were not afraid of humans, and would allow close approached.

                          IMHO, the bird was more stressed by the Western Gulls, than by any human.
                          Yes, I heard that there was a few people who got within a few feet of the
                          bird, and yes I would say,that is too close, but most of the photographers
                          stayed back at least 30 feet or more. I am sick and tire of hearing about
                          morals and ethics. How many of you go to your local clubs and enjoy the
                          slide shows, or the Nature Shows on television, or even the photographic
                          field guides? How do you think they get those fantastic shots? From a mile
                          away? NOT!!!

                          I have seen more birders trespass on lands, that are legally posted with
                          "No Trespassing" signs, and have even heard about birds being killed by
                          non-photographic birders. I have never heard of a photographer killing a
                          bird. The "Non-legal" signs at La Jolla Cove are meant to protect the City
                          of San Diego from the idiots who jump off the cliffs and into the ocean,
                          not so that people can not enjoy the view. the wooden boardwalk along that
                          cliff has a very large opening right onto the area in question, so that
                          people can go onto the cliffs. I have seen Professional Ornithologist kill
                          birds under the pretense of scientific study, when it was more of the
                          keeping the "Baseball-card type" of collecting. I see hunters allowed on
                          Refuges and Sanctuaries to kill, but again to date, have I ever seen a
                          photographers kill a bird.

                          Learn the facts, not everything you read is true.

                          Doug Aguillard
                          San Diego, CA
                          doug@...

                          At 10:03 PM 1/18/2002 +0000, topazlisa wrote:
                          >This issue has not been addressed and very well should be. A bird, just
                          >because it was in a place not normally seen, was hounded
                          >to injury and probable death. This was done, according to the posts, not
                          >just by new birders "who didn't know better" but by "dedicated
                          >birders". With the pictures to prove it.
                        • Butch Carter
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 18, 2011
                            Edited by moderator for spelling:
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 19, 2011
                              Hello

                                Was the Masked Booby seen today (Monday)??

                                   Thank You
                                   Butch Carter
                                   Santa Ysabel

                            • Christopher Taylor
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 19, 2011
                                Hi Butch, yes it has. There have been posts on OrangeCountyBirding but
                                people have neglected to CC Calbirds. You can search the message boards
                                of OC Birding here:

                                http://www.calbirds.com/?board=orangecountybirding&text=Masked%20Booby

                                --
                                Christopher Taylor
                                Marina del Rey, CA

                                  Was the Masked Booby seen today (Monday)??

                                     Thank You
                                     Butch Carter
                                     Santa Ysabel

                                Yahoo! Groups Links
                              • Michelle Townsley
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 20, 2011
                                  If you had been at Dana Point Harbor this morning at 7:30 am you would have witnessed my dance of joy as I scoped the Masked Booby! I was looking at the east end of the breakwater from the loop parking lot. If you can see the Fish & Game vessel Thresher, you are in the right place.

                                  Michelle Townsley
                                  Ecstatic Orange County born, Ventura County resident

                                  Sent from my iPhone