help needed: black rails

  • Thomas Miko
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2002
      Dear Calbirders
      I have been hearing for years about this winter ritual of going to the San
      Francisco Bay area (Palo Alto???) to some parking lot, where the winter
      high tide flushes Black Rails out onto the pavement. I would like to get
      as much specific information as possible on this, including the
      end-of-january date and time to be there, because I have to ask for time
      off from my job WEEKS ahead of time.
      Thanks,
    • Lambert & Conard
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2002
        Thomas and all,

        1/1/2002
        Palo Alto Baylands
        Santa Clara County
        Bird's discussed: Clapper Rail, Black Rail, Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow,
        Swamp Sparrow.

        Today Kimya Lambert and I (finally) made our first trip to the Palo Alto
        Baylands. We didn't find a Black Rail, but it was still a good trip.

        We found a very bright Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow on the boardwalk that
        begins at the nature center, and had some nice views of a Clapper Rail. The
        sparrow was in the vegetation just before the boardwalk crosses a small
        channel. It moved through the veg, hopped onto the boardwalk, and then flew
        about forty feet and disappeared. We got excellent views of the bird. The
        rail was first seen by Kimya in the channel, and moved out onto the flats,
        where we got several more brief views for about fifteen minutes. A Baylands
        volunteer named Dan told us that the above channel is the most dependable
        place there to find Clapper Rail. We were the first to arrive this morning,
        and saw both the rail and sparrow between 9:00 and 9:30. At that point
        there was mostly mud in the channel, and there were numerous Clapper Rail
        tracks. Fifteen to twenty people showed up to look for rails at high tide
        at around 1:15, but to my knowledge nobody was successful.

        The exception was a man (we didn't catch his name) who said he saw a Black
        Rail (before high tide), sharp-tailed, and Swamp Sparrow along the channel
        that flows toward the airport. (According to this individual, sharp-tailed
        sparrows are more common than Swamp Sparrows at the Baylands. He said he
        has been finding sharp-taileds for fifteen years, but until today hadn't
        found a Swamp Sparrow (at the Baylands). That surprised me. I wonder if
        others have had similar observations. I am far more familiar with the
        Central Valley (and to a lesser extent Point Reyes and Bodega Bay). In
        these locations, Swamp Sparrows are quite rare, but regular. I have never
        heard of a Central Valley sharp-tailed record, and they appear to be far
        more scarce in the North Bay than Swamp Sparrow.)

        We looked for Black Rail with a group of ten or so others at high tide
        without success. For those who haven't been there before, the best spot
        according to the locals is in the bend in the road near the parking lot to
        the nature center. There are posts with a chain barrier. At high tide, the
        rails are sometimes seen along the water's edge, or on floating debris and
        vegetation. From that point today, we only had a swimming Virginia Rail.
        The tide was high, but not nearly so high as to force the rails up onto the
        pavement as others have seen. The best combination is high tide and winter
        flooding (for wildlife viewing, not for the rails, as they are vulnerable to
        herons).

        Directions:
        From Hwy 101, take the Embarcadero exit and head east. After about 0.8
        miles, the road "T"s into another road. Follow signs left another 0.2 miles
        to the nature center. Quite a few people will probably line up at the
        "Black Rail Spot," so it should be easy to find around high tide. For the
        area where the Black Rail, sharp-tailed, and Swamp Sparrows were reported
        today, continue walking past the nature center along the channel toward the
        airport. We searched this area without success in the afternoon.

        For information on tides, you can check
        http://co-ops.nos.noaa.gov/tpred2.html#CA

        Good Luck,

        Chris Conard