Slaty-backed Gull - Half Moon Bay, San Mateo County.

  • Alvaro Jaramillo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2007
      Folks

      I found an adult Slaty-backed Gull at Venice Beach, Half Moon Bay, San
      Mateo County today. I picked it up at about 4:30 pm and it eventually flew
      when a large wave came in flushing many of the birds closer to the water.
      The bird was right at the mouth of Pilarcitos/Frenchman's Creek. Ron Thorn
      reported an adult Slaty-backed here in December, but I recall he said that
      this bird had black on the bill. Therefore these are two different birds.
      Today's individual was not as dark as most Slaty-backed, and had a reduced
      string of pearls pattern.

      Here are some photos to look at:

      http://www.coastside.net/chucao/gulls/Slatyback07.htm

      If anyone comes around tomorrow, my guess is that there will be a lot of
      people on the beach as the weather promises to be pretty nice. But then
      there were people out there today, and the bird was there, the only
      frustration being that they flushed every so often due to someone walking
      by.

      Other birds of note: A first year Glaucous Gull was around and the Dusky
      Canada Goose which has been here since November is still around.

      Good birding

      Al

      Alvaro Jaramillo

      chucao@...