Snowy Owl Boat trip report

  • QuiAvisPetit@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2007
      Hey birders,
      Sorry I couldn't post this earlier, I just got home.
      To answer one of Miko's questions: we got incredible looks at the SNOWY
      OWL as it sat on a piling! We got within several hundred yards of the owl
      before Dan cut the engines and we drifted towards it, allowing for awesome
      scope views and pictures. We were in awe; the bird couldn't have cared less.
      After drifting fairly close, (maybe 50 ft), Dan turned the engines back on and
      we left. The bird did not appear disturbed in any way. Once we were quite
      a ways off it flew and perched on some rip-rap on the shore. Besides the
      owl the birding was excellent. Tons of waterfowl and good numbers of raptors.
      Captain Dan Thiemann is the perfect man for the job. He is enthusiastic
      and wants to help as many people see this bird as he can. He is taking a
      group tomorrow (Dec 5th) leaving the dock at 10am. He is also going out
      Saturday and Sunday leaving at noon. He said that he is willing to take people out
      as long as the bird is showing up and there are enough people to cover fuel
      costs. Much also depends on the tides. His number is (916) 289-8375. As
      stated in previous posts: bring layers, food, and patience. This is at least a
      6 hour venture with no guarantee of success. The boat is smooth enough to
      use scopes.
      I'm sure that everyone knows how hard it is to find non-birders willing
      to go to great lengths to help us get rarities. It is especially great that
      Dan has opened this door for us when all others have been shut. This is
      also a great opportunity for the public, ranchers, etc to see eco-tourism in
      action. Our actions are being watched, and private land owners talk to each
      other. Lets keep this in mind and act accordingly.

      Bird on!
      Daryl Coldren
      Arcata