2 questions: Re: [CALBIRDS] Snowy Owl Update

  • jeffers_richard
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2007
      I got a call from Capt. Dan Thiemann shortly after they had the Snowy
      Owl, and it sounded like they got killer views and photos. He said
      something like they were 40' from the bird (hopefully not really that
      close). He also said photos would be posted to Joe Morlan's website
      later.

      He has a boat going Saturday at noon, so I suggest calling him to
      make a reservation: (916) 289-8375. Not sure if he is planning on
      anything for tomorrow, but it would probably depend on how many folks
      can make it.

      Richard Jeffers
      Santa Clara, CA

      --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Miko <thomas.miko@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > 1) How well are birders seeing the bird from this boat? Are they
      seeing it well, or are they seeing a little whie blob from hundreds
      of yards away?
      > 2) How is the weather up there, and how has the drive been up there
      for people coming up from Southern California with this big rain
      storm???
      > Tom
      >
      > >From: Paul Keller <wrentitpk@...>
      > >Date: 2007/01/03 Wed PM 07:51:09 CST
      > >To: Calbirds <CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com>
      > >Cc: Wesley Todd Fritz <wes-fritz@...>
      > >Subject: [CALBIRDS] Snowy Owl Update
      >
      > >Wes Fritz (who is away from his computer) has just talked to John
      Sterling,
      > >and John informed him that the gun club is no longer accepting
      guests so the
      > >boat is the only option left to try for the Snowy Owl. Wes spoke
      with
      > >Captain Dan Thiemann and found out that he is willing to take out
      > >passengers. If you want to take Captain Dan¹s boat, California
      Sunset,
      > >tomorrow (Thursday), it leaves at 9am and takes about 5 to 6 hours
      round
      > >trip. The boat has restrooms and holds 100 people and you should
      pack a
      > >lunch and bring extra layers. The boat leaves from Suisun City
      Marina near
      > >Suisun City. For directions
      > ><http://www.google.com/maps?
      hl=en&lr=&client=safari&q=suisun+city+marina&rad
      > >ius=0.0&cid=37062500,-
      95677068,6309394409995172934&li=lmd&z=14&t=m&output=ht
      > >ml> Captain Dan Thiemann (916/289-8375) is willing to charge $8 per
      > >passenger but he may have to charge more if we don¹t get enough
      passengers
      > >to cover expenses. It¹s a good idea to call Captain Dan for
      reservations.
      > >Just to let you know, as of today when Wes last spoke with Captain
      Dan, no
      > >one had yet seen the owl from the boat which left at 1 o¹clock.
      However
      > >birders saw the owl this morning out on the pylon at the end of
      Van Sickle
      > >Rd before access was closed.
      > >We hope to see you on the boat tomorrow. Good luck.
      > >--
      > >Paul Keller, SBA Vandenberg Village

      > >Listowners: mailto:CALBIRDS-owner@yahoogroups.com
      > >
      > >For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit
      My Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank
      email to these addresses: