2 questions: Re: [CALBIRDS] Snowy Owl Update

  • Thomas Miko
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2007
      Hi,
      1) How well are birders seeing the bird from this boat? Are they seeing it well, or are they seeing a little whie blob from hundreds of yards away?
      2) How is the weather up there, and how has the drive been up there for people coming up from Southern California with this big rain storm???
      Tom

      >From: Paul Keller <wrentitpk@...>
      >Date: 2007/01/03 Wed PM 07:51:09 CST
      >To: Calbirds <CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com>
      >Cc: Wesley Todd Fritz <wes-fritz@...>
      >Subject: [CALBIRDS] Snowy Owl Update

      >Wes Fritz (who is away from his computer) has just talked to John Sterling,
      >and John informed him that the gun club is no longer accepting guests so the
      >boat is the only option left to try for the Snowy Owl. Wes spoke with
      >Captain Dan Thiemann and found out that he is willing to take out
      >passengers. If you want to take Captain Dan¹s boat, California Sunset,
      >tomorrow (Thursday), it leaves at 9am and takes about 5 to 6 hours round
      >trip. The boat has restrooms and holds 100 people and you should pack a
      >lunch and bring extra layers. The boat leaves from Suisun City Marina near
      >Suisun City. For directions
      ><http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&lr=&client=safari&q=suisun+city+marina&rad
      >ius=0.0&cid=37062500,-95677068,6309394409995172934&li=lmd&z=14&t=m&output=ht
      >ml> Captain Dan Thiemann (916/289-8375) is willing to charge $8 per
      >passenger but he may have to charge more if we don¹t get enough passengers
      >to cover expenses. It¹s a good idea to call Captain Dan for reservations.
      >Just to let you know, as of today when Wes last spoke with Captain Dan, no
      >one had yet seen the owl from the boat which left at 1 o¹clock. However
      >birders saw the owl this morning out on the pylon at the end of Van Sickle
      >Rd before access was closed.
      >We hope to see you on the boat tomorrow. Good luck.
      >--
      >Paul Keller, SBA Vandenberg Village

      >For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email to these addresses:
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Thomas Miko (Mikó Tamás)

      thomas.miko@...
      thomas_miko@...

      653 S. Indian Hill Blvd., #C
      Claremont, CA 91711
      U.S.A.
      34.109167 N, 117.718293 W

      home: (909) 445-1456
      cell: (626) 390-1935
      work: (323) 226-7855

      "Luck favors the backbone, not the wishbone."-Doyle Brunson
    • Steve Hampton
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2007
        For Snowy Owl weather, see

        http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/index.php?wfo=sto&zone=caz018&fire=caz218&county=cac095

        We basically either get rain, wind, or fog this time of year, the
        latter probably being the best because it usually means some sun and
        calm. Friday will be windy, but starting Saturday the weather looks
        pretty good for a while. Hunt days are typically Wed and weekends, but
        I'm not sure about each individual club.

        Steve Hampton
        ________________
        Resource Economist
        Office of Spill Prevention and Response
        California Dept of Fish and Game
        PO Box 944209
        Sacramento, CA 94244-2090
        -----------------------------------
        (916) 323-4724 phone
        (916) 324-8829 fax

      • jeffers_richard
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2007
          I got a call from Capt. Dan Thiemann shortly after they had the Snowy
          Owl, and it sounded like they got killer views and photos. He said
          something like they were 40' from the bird (hopefully not really that
          close). He also said photos would be posted to Joe Morlan's website
          later.

          He has a boat going Saturday at noon, so I suggest calling him to
          make a reservation: (916) 289-8375. Not sure if he is planning on
          anything for tomorrow, but it would probably depend on how many folks
          can make it.

          Richard Jeffers
          Santa Clara, CA