Snowy Owl news again

  • John Sterling
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2007
      I just received a phone call from Ryan (son of a duck club caretaker), and
      he told me to spread the word that today (Wednesday) there will be too many
      hunters at the Snowy Owl area, so there will be no overland access. He said
      that tomorrow (Thursday) will be fine. He seemed pleased to be able to take
      people out to see the bird. I am not sure what happened yesterday when some
      birders called me to tell me that they called the guy and he was rude to
      them. Perhaps someone else answered the phone, or they did not make it
      clear that they wanted his permission and help to see it???? Well
      anyways..he seems to want to help us out when I spoke with him this morning.

      His number is 707-655-7117 and remember, that Thursday is OK, but not today.
      Alternatively, you can take a boat out today.

      The directions are..take Grizzly Island Road off of Hwy 12 near Fairfield,
      then turn right onto Van Sickle Road. This is after Grizzly Island Road
      crossed Montezuma Slough on the bridge. Take Van Sickle all of the way to
      the end where the gate is. Do not attempt to trespass by going beyond the
      gate. You will be caught and that would ruin access for everyone else.
      There will be hunters shooting ducks out there too. I suspect that the owl
      will be OK as Ryan will be telling hunters to stay away from the vicinity of
      the owl.

      John Sterling

      26 Palm Ave

      Woodland, CA 95695