Snowy Owl

  • John Sterling
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2007
      Howdy,

      I was able to see and photograph the Snowy Owl this afternoon. It is
      sitting on a piling about 50 meters in the bay from the levee on the north
      shore of Grizzly Bay off Grizzly Island Road. I have sent an email to one
      of the duck club owners to ask permission for a group to access the area to
      see the bird during a non-hunt day. I suggested that the landowner could
      charge $10 per person, so as to provide some financial incentive for the
      landowner. Without that incentive, I would dare to say that landowners in
      that area would not be willing to allow a group of birders on their land.
      So.with that in mind, I will let you all know what I find out and what
      day(s) we would have permission to access the property, *if* we get
      permission at all.

      One alternative is to bring a boat to the boat landing at Montezuma Slough
      on Grizzly Island Road. Take the boat down to the bay, and turn left along
      the shore. If any of you have a boat, that would be a great way to make
      some extra money.ferrying birders to and from the Snowy Owl-and please let
      us all know if you are willing to provide that service!

      John

      John Sterling

      26 Palm Ave

      Woodland, CA 95695

      530-908-3836 (cell)

      530-753-3733 ext 102 (work)

    • erpfromca@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2007
        From John Sterling

        Greetings,
        The morning boat just reported the Snowy Owl. So....with yesterday's
        afternoon boat missing it, I suspect that morning boat excursions would be the best
        bet. So..call Dan Thiemann and make your reservations. Good luck!

        can someone please forward on Calbirds and County Birders listserves for me
        as I don't have access via this computer?

        John Sterling
        Ornithologist

        HT Harvey & Associates
        711 4th St.
        Davis, CA 95616
        530 753-3733 ext 102 (office)
        530 908-3836 (cell)
        _ani@..._ (mailto:ani@...) (home email)

      • Terry Hunefeld
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 10, 2007
          Update from Captain Dan's boat... The SNOW was just seen by 12 birders at 0915 Wednesday.

          W Terry Hunefeld, San Diego
          Life is short. Bird Often.
          760-908-3453
          terry@...

          Terry Hunefeld
        • Joseph Morlan
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 20, 2007
            I have created a preliminary page on the Grizzly Bay Snowy Owl with some
            more detailed information. It is at:

            http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/snow011907.html

            Corrections/additions are welcome.

            Enjoy!

            --
            Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
            Birding Classes start Feb 6 in SF http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 26, 2007
              Capt. Dan asked me to report that we did not find the Snowy Owl today,
              January 26, 2007.

              Lowell Young
              Mariposa, CA
            • ingawaite
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 27, 2007
                Birders,

                Captain Dan asked us to report on today's trip. We had good looks at
                waterfowl, egrets, and raptors (2 Peregrines, lots of Red Tails and
                Harriers) but the Snowy Owl was a no show. There are many hunters,
                now, in area where the owl was last seen.

                For information about future trips on Capt. Dan Thieman's boat, you
                can reach him at (916) 289-8375.

                Inga & Dan Labeaune
                Monterey, CA
              • chefsuewoods
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 20, 2007
                  I went out on the California Sunset on Saturday, Feb. 17th. I think I
                  saw the Snowy Owl for about less than 15 seconds. It was flying low
                  through some euclyptus trees and around some buildings then swooped
                  down behind a burm where it couldn't be seen. Although I was
                  disappointed that I didn't get a clear view of its face, I did see a
                  deep wing flap and the characteristic owl body. The coloring was
                  distinctly white with black speckles. I also saw a prairie falcon,
                  black-necked stilt, harriers, red-tails, great blue herrons and common
                  terns diving near the back of the boat. We had a beautiful cruise out
                  of Suisun City with Captain Dan and BJ. For information about future
                  trips on Capt. Dan Thieman's boat, you can reach him at (916) 289-8375.

                  Sue Woods
                  Cameron Park, CA