Pescadero YBLoon NOT on 23rd

  • Jim Greaves
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2006
      As belated follow-up to today's request: We stopped on 23 Dec 2006 at
      Pescadero estuary/creek, a perfect day for birding the creek, and did
      NOT see ANY loons, on- or off-shore (possibly a fly-by too far out to
      ID), where surf was spectacular. We saw several Black Oystercatchers,
      many Black Turnstones and Surfbirds, a Marbled Godwit, 2 Whimbrels, a
      few Sanderlings, gulls (G-winged, Western, California), and a "pure"
      flock of Surf Scoters (12 or so) in the surf right at the mouth of the
      creek (no Black Scoter this time). Along the nature trail were a pair
      Spotted towhees, some Song, and Golden- and White-crowned sparrows,
      Marsh wrens, several White-tailed kites (2 doing barrel rolls around
      each other, while another hovered a bit away), 2 female-plumaged
      Harriers, Say's and Black phoebes, Mallards, Green- and Blue-winged
      teals, Buffleheads and Ruddies, and coots. Nothing exciting except to
      have the wind NOT blowing in the creek as it had been a month ago when
      the loon was present. - Jim and Lark, Santa Barbara