RE: [CALBIRDS] Many thanks and one more question

  • Ali Sheehey
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 23, 2006
      Katy and All

      California Condors are being seen regularly in Kern County at Bittercreek
      National Wildlife Refuge. Take Hwy 166 and 33 to Cerro Noroeste Road. Drive
      about 20 miles to the northern boundary of the refuge. Park by the
      Bittercreek refuge sign. The condors rise relatively late in a birders
      morning. There may be another place that is easier, but this place is
      predictable if you are patient.

      Ali

      Alison Sheehey
      P.O. Box 153
      Weldon, CA 93283

      760-378-2029
      *****************************
      http://natureali.org - "Sharing the magic of central California's
      biodiversity with the world."
    • Alison
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 23, 2006
        oops, meant to say the sign at the southern boundary of the refuge.
        There is a canyon on the east side of the road that overlooks where
        condors roost at night when they are not at Hopper Mountain Sanctuary.

        The last time I saw them was kind of in the middle of the sanctuary,
        three of them were quite a distance off and playing along the thermals
        on various ridgelines.

        Lots of other raptors as well. Patience is key though.

        Ali