Many thanks and one more question

  • kwpenland
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 22, 2006
      Many, many thanks to everyone who responded privately, and on the
      board, to my Vegas-to-Sacramento query. My friend has one more
      specific question, if you don't mind:

      Where is probably the most reliable place in California to view
      California Condors this time of year? Big Sur? Pinnacles? Or would
      a side-trip from Vegas to Marble Canyon (or elsewhere) be the best
      investment of time?

      Again, thanks so much for all the help. My email's below.

      Katy Penland
      Los Angeles, CA
      kwpenland AT yahoo.com
    • Ali Sheehey
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 23, 2006
        Katy and All

        California Condors are being seen regularly in Kern County at Bittercreek
        National Wildlife Refuge. Take Hwy 166 and 33 to Cerro Noroeste Road. Drive
        about 20 miles to the northern boundary of the refuge. Park by the
        Bittercreek refuge sign. The condors rise relatively late in a birders
        morning. There may be another place that is easier, but this place is
        predictable if you are patient.

        Ali

        Alison Sheehey
        P.O. Box 153
        Weldon, CA 93283

        760-378-2029
        *****************************
        http://natureali.org - "Sharing the magic of central California's
        biodiversity with the world."
      • Alison
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 23, 2006
          oops, meant to say the sign at the southern boundary of the refuge.
          There is a canyon on the east side of the road that overlooks where
          condors roost at night when they are not at Hopper Mountain Sanctuary.

          The last time I saw them was kind of in the middle of the sanctuary,
          three of them were quite a distance off and playing along the thermals
          on various ridgelines.

          Lots of other raptors as well. Patience is key though.

          Ali