RE:[CALBIRDS] Las Vegas to Sacramento birding

  • Ali Sheehey
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 22, 2006
      Katy

      Check out my website and especially the page
      http://www.natureali.org/birding.htm for where to bird in Kern County, then
      download a copy of the Kern Bird Checklist -
      http://natureali.org/KC_BIRDS.htm.

      Also have your friend check Bob Barnes fantastic site guide at
      http://www.valleywild.org/krvbirdtips.htm for birding in the Kern Valley and
      southern Sierra. The Kern Valley now has multiple flocks of mountain and
      western bluebirds along with lots of raptors. Kern Valley bird checklist
      with s/d http://kern.audubon.org/checklist.htm

      I just finished my Buena Vista CBC in the southern San Joaquin Valley and
      found around 400 hundred white pelicans and 109 other species in the area
      around the Kern River Bike Path. http://www.natureali.org/CBCs/BVcbc.htm.
      There are hyperlinks to other area CBCs from year's past with photos of
      birds seen on each.

      The China Lake CBC also recorded some great numbers around Ridgecrest
      including lots of Long-eared Owls. People interested in Kern County birding
      should sign up for Michael McQuerrey's yahoo group to see what locals are
      reporting. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kerncobirding/

      Also, the numbers of Sandhill Cranes at Pixley NWR in neighboring Tulare
      County are up in the thousands now. http://www.natureali.org/pixley.htm The
      fog has not been too bad so far this year so the visibility should be pretty
      good. See my report on my visit there a few years ago (in Internet Explorer
      you can hear the cranes flying overhead).
      http://www.natureali.org/pixley_trip.htm

      I just wrote a new spotlight on diversity article on my home page for people
      looking for winter activities in Kern County. So visit that also, it
      hyperlinks to other sites and pages pertinent to the topic.

      Good birding and happy holidays.

      Ali

      Alison Sheehey
      P.O. Box 153