Re: [CALBIRDS] Lake Havasu Yellow-billed Loon

  • Guy McCaskie
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 20, 2006
      A check of reports published in "North American Birds" and the California Bird Records Committee files shows that a first-winter Yellow-billed Loon was at Lake Havasu 01 Feb-13 Apr 2002 (NAB 56:204 and 337), but with no reports there after until this fall/winter. If indeed a Yellow-billed Loon has been present on Havasu Lake since the winter of 2001-2002, then its presence gone unreported to the editors of North American Birds, and appears unpublished elsewhere. If indeed there is a Yellow-billed Loon on Lake Havasu today, the age should be determined, and the record documented (documentation should at a minimum include a description of the bird, and preferably be accompanied by photographs).

      Guy McCaskie
      Secretary, CBRC
      PO Box 275
      Imperial Beach, CA 91933

      From: Kathleen_Blair AT FWS.GOV
      Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 13:41:54 -0700

      As of last weekend, the Lake Havasu resident
      Yellow-billed loon was on the California side,
      directly across the lake from Site Six in an area
      called the Chalk Cliffs. The ass't manager/ Wildlife
      Biologist at the BWRNWR was fishing over there and
      watched it off and on for several hrs. It is quite
      tame around fishing boats.

      My first record of this guy was in Jan of 2002 and has
      been sighted off
      and on ever since, mostly on the AZ side ( but, then,
      most of the birders are on the AZ side) and mostly
      between Cattail Cove SP, Site Six, and Windsor Beach
      SP (PS we plan to have a boat on the lake for our CBC
      that will cover south of Cattail Cove to Parker Dam on
      both sides of the lake - innocent grin!).

      Kathleen Blair, PhD.
      Ecologist, Bill Williams River NWR
      60911 Hwy 95
      Parker, AZ 85344