California and eBird--Over the top in November!

  • Brian Sullivan
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2006
      California Birders

      I'd first like to thank you for giving eBird (www.ebird.org) a try this past
      fall, and for finally helping knock New York out of the #1 position for
      eBird checklist submissions! How's that for "Northeast-centric!" This past
      November, California topped New York by 448 checklists, producing a monthly
      total of 2085 new checklists´┐Żamong the highest single monthly totals for any
      state in eBird in the history of the application. With the bulk upload tool
      (still just beta-testing) AviSys users contributed another 1719 checklists,
      for a grand total of 3804 California checklists! It's great to see that
      California birders are leading the charge in the West and enjoying eBird,
      and CA usage is growing rapidly. eBird is only as good as the people who
      use it, and with your data the application has become stronger and more
      useful to those wishing to query the database.

      eBird has made several strong developments over the past few months. We've
      launched the ability to record age and sex variables for every species on
      your checklist. This was a difficult process to automate, but we feel that
      we've taken a conservative approach to it, and hope that you'll find it
      useful. I was shocked when I first started using it to realize that I had
      no idea how to age and sex many species, some because it is impossible in
      the field, others because I simply lacked the knowledge required to do so. In
      any case, it's an important part of bird record-keeping, and we hope you
      enjoy it.

      Along with this development comes the ability to enter comments for each
      species separately. No longer will Curtis Marantz run out of room while
      entering his checklist comments! This was a big request among eBird users,
      and we've given you ample room here to describe behaviors and other
      interesting things from your field notes at the species level.

      The biggest and most welcome change has been the development of Google Maps
      in our "Submit Data" functionality. Now it's easier than ever to find your
      location using Google Maps, quickly plot where you went birding, and then
      send us your data. The old mapping tool was on its last legs, and we're
      happy to have Google helping to serve our mapping needs. Soon we'll be able
      to display all the hotspots and you'll actually be able to enter data for an
      existing location simply by selecting it off the map!

      We've also expanded our coverage to include data entry for all islands in
      the Caribbean, so if you're traveling this holiday season, don't forget to
      keep notes on the birds you see, and feel free to enter them into eBird.
      Projects are still in the works with Cuba, Colombia, Panama and Costa Rica,
      and soon we'll have the AOU south taxonomy in place so you'll be able to
      enter data from anywhere in the Western Hemisphere.

      We're still in the process of refining filters for California, and bringing
      new county editors online to help us vet records. I'm happy to say that
      most counties are now covered, with the exception of several in the
      northeastern part of the state. In fact users in LA County so far this year
      are on top of the pile with 1465 checklists, with Marin, San Diego, Santa
      Clara, and San Luis Obispo rounding out the Top 5 (see full list below).
      Thanks to all our county reviewers working hard to manage this massive data
      set.

      Again, I'd really like to thank everyone using eBird in California for all
      your effort and support. As you know, this is just a drop in the bucket in
      terms of what could be happening in California. If every birder in this
      state submitted just one checklist per month, we'd probably have 100,000
      checklists every month from California alone. I can't tell you how valuable
      a data set becomes when you're talking about a sample size that large. With
      your help, we hope to get there some day, hopefully in 2007!

      Thanks and Happy Holidays

      Brian Sullivan (bls42@...)

      eBird Project Leader (West)

      Pacific Grove, CA

      Checklist Totals by California County 2006

      Los Angeles

      1465

      Marin

      1117