Brown Boobies: Humboldt County

  • Keith M Slauson
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2006
      Greetings,

      On Wednsday November 29th Karly Moore and I had an immature Brown Booby
      flying north just off the North Jetty of Humboldt Bay. On Sunday December
      2nd the
      immature Brown Booby was relocated by Rob Hewitt flying around Flat Iron
      Rock
      located northwest of the town of Trinidad. Later that afternoon a second
      Brown Booby,
      adult female, was found (Brian Acord, Stan Harris, et al.) roosting on the
      south end of the
      Flat Iron Rock with Brown pelicans. This location can be seen scoped from
      the
      'beach parking lot' next to the Trinidad harbor boat launch as well as from
      the trail
      leading out to Trinidad head west of the parking lot. From highway 101
      take the
      Trinidad exit, follow the main street from the exit west through town and
      down to the
      harbor. The adult has been seen roosting at sunrise (Monday), returning to
      roost
      at various times in the morning (e.g., 9-11 am, Monday), and in the
      afternoon
      (2:30-3:30, Sunday) and the immature appeared to have left the roost and
      fly out
      to sea at around 9 am (Sunday) and also returning in the afternoon
      (2:30-3:30).

      This is the first county record for Brown Booby in Humboldt County.
      Pictures taken by
      Brian Acord can be seen at:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/bcacord/sets/72157594404253444/).

      Good Luck,