Swans and Geese in the Central Valley

  • debbie viess
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2006
      This past weekend I was in the Sierra foothills and the Central Valley for a mushroom foray. The mushrooms were medium, but as you can imagine, the waterfowl were spectacular. The rice fields lining the roads in the Central Valley around Yuba City were filled with thousands of Tundra swans, calling and flapping, feeding and displaying. I love seeing these big, white majestic birds. When we pulled over to the side of the road to get a better look, the swans closest to us straightened their necks and walked off in concert, each an echo of the other. At dusk, the skies were filled with flocks of geese, close enough to ID in the air, snow geese standing out brightly within flocks of blues, and big flocks of white-fronts with their belly bars and even their white faces clearly visible.

      Thank god for the refuges and rice fields that still remain, to provide a place for these magnificent birds.

      Debbie Viess