North American Birds Summer Reminder

  • Steve Glover
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2006
      December 1, 2006

      Dear North American Birds Contributors,

      The fall season has already come to a close so please
      send your noteworthy records from the Middle Pacific
      Coast Region for the period 1 August- 30 November to
      the appropriate Subregional Editors (see below) or to
      the Regional Editors by 10 August.

      This fall season marks the retirement of Luke Cole as
      a Regional Editor. We are grateful to Luke for his
      years of service and will miss his knowledge and sense
      of humor. Thank you, Luke! Ed Pandolfino, after
      filling in for Luke over the summer, has agreed to
      take the thrashers-finches on permanently. Please note
      EdÂ’s address below.

      Please pay special attention to the format example
      given at the end of this message. Reports that are
      formatted properly make our job far easier. In
      particular, it is important to note that there is a
      single tab between species, date, etc.

      PLEASE use Subregional Editors for the counties that
      have them. These SREs painstakingly keep track of
      records within their counties and are in most cases
      THE source of information on the birds of their
      counties. By sending your records to the SREs, you
      are helping to contribute to their county files as
      well as to North American Birds. If you wish to send
      copies to the Regional Editors, we welcome them, but
      please send records through the SREs as well. If you
      have a noteworthy winter sighting from a county
      without a Subregional Editor, please send records to
      the Regional Editors below.

      Records of loons-frigatebirds and larids-alcids go to
      Scott Terrill at:

      H.T. Harvey & Associates
      3150 Almaden Expwy., Suite 145
      San Jose, CA 95118
      sterrill@...

      Records of waterfowl through quail and herons through
      shorebirds go to Mike Rogers at:
      499 Novato Ave.
      Sunnyvale, CA 94086
      m.m.rogers@...

      Records of doves through thrushes/Wrentit (in the new
      AOU order, that includes vireos and shrikes) go to
      Steve Glover at:
      6526 Conestoga Lane
      Dublin, CA 94568

      countylines@...

      Records of thrashers to finches go to Luke Cole at:
      Ed Pandolfino
      5530 Delrose Court
      Carmichael, CA 95608
      erpfromca@...

      SUBREGIONAL EDITORS

      Alameda
      Bob Richmond
      24650 Amador St. #15
      Hayward, CA 94544
      Brichmond94544@...

      Alpine, Calaveras & Modoc
      John Sterling
      29 Palm Ave.
      Woodland, CA 95695
      ani@...

      Amador & El Dorado
      Tim Steurer
      4042 Bancroft Dr.
      El Dorado Hills, CA 95762-6933
      tsteurer@...

      Butte, Colusa, Glenn, Sutter, Tehama, Yuba
      Bruce Deuel
      18730 Live Oak Road
      Red Bluff, CA 96080
      bdeuel@...

      Contra Costa
      Steve Glover
      6526 Conestoga Lane
      Dublin CA 94568
      countylines@...

      Del Norte
      Alan D. Barron
      1093 Hwy 101 N. #18
      Crescent City, CA 95531
      flockfinder@...

      Fresno
      Gary W. Potter
      2183 Walton Ave
      Sanger, CA 93657
      gwpott@...

      Humboldt
      David Fix and Jude Claire Power
      P.O. Box 4331
      Arcata, CA 95518
      dfxjcp@...

      Kings
      Luke Cole
      561 Hill Street
      San Francisco, CA 94114
      luke@...

      Lake
      Jerry R. White
      P.O. Box 113
      Kelseyville, CA 95451
      grwhite@...

      Lassen
      Tim Manolis
      808 El Encino Way
      Sacramento, CA 95864
      ylightfoot@...

      Madera
      Jeff Davis
      30705 Pennyroyal Lane
      Prather, CA 93651
      jndavis@...

      Mariposa
      David Vander Pluym
      1683 Buena Vista St.
      Ventura, CA 93001
      SCRE@...

      Mendocino
      Bob Keiffer
      P. O. Box 354
      Hopland CA 95449
      rjkeiffer@...

      Merced and San Benito
      Kent Van Vuren
      26 Vista Dr.
      Salinas, CA 93907
      vanvurenk@...

      Mono
      Kristie Nelson
      P.O. Box 402
      Lee Vining, CA 93541
      storm_petrel@...

      Monterey
      Don Roberson
      282 Grove Acre
      Pacific Grove CA 93950
      831-373-2566fax
      creagrus@...

      Napa
      Murray Berner
      210 Monte Vista
      Napa, CA 94558
      (707) 224-5897
      vireocity@...

      Nevada
      Brian Williams
      8200 Turner Dr.
      Granite Bay, CA 95746
      bwcal@...

      Placer
      Ed Pandolfino
      5530 Del Rose Court
      Carmichael, CA 95608
      erpfromca@...

      Plumas & Sierra
      John "Mac" McCormick
      1230 Dog Leg Dr.
      Chico, CA 95928
      macmc94123@...

      Sacramento and Yolo
      Chris Conard
      2405 Rio Bravo Circle
      Sacramento, CA 95826
      conardc@...

      San Francisco (mainland)
      The City: Mark Eaton
      1524 36th Avenue
      San Francisco, CA 94122
      mweaton@...

      San Francisco (Farallons)
      Jim Tietz
      P.O. Box 751
      Arcata, CA, 95518
      jtietz@...

      San Joaquin
      David G. Yee
      11707 N. Alpine Rd.
      Lodi, CA 95240
      davidyee@...

      San Mateo
      Peter J. Metropulos
      2940 Turk Blvd.
      San Francisco, CA 94118
      pjmetrop@...

      Santa Clara
      William G. Bousman
      321 Arlington Way
      Menlo Park CA 94025
      barlowi@...

      Santa Cruz
      David Suddjian
      801 Monterey Ave.
      Capitola, CA 95010
      DSUDDJIAN@...

      Shasta
      Bob Yutzy
      P. O. Box 990237
      Redding CA 96099
      boby@...

      Siskiyou
      Ray Ekstrom
      2209 Delphic Rd.
      Montague, CA 96064

      Solano
      Robin Leong
      336 Benson Ave.
      Vallejo, CA 94590-3027
      robin_leong@...

      Sonoma
      Ruth Rudesill
      P.O. Box 371
      Kenwood, CA 95452
      rar@...

      Stanislaus
      Jim Gain
      3300 Cardinal Flower Ave.
      Modesto, CA 95355
      phalarope@...

      Trinity
      John E. Hunter
      P.O. Box 4483
      Arcata, CA 95518
      jhunter323@...

      Tulare
      Steven Summers
      2553 W. Michelle Ln.
      Porterville, CA 93257
      summers@...

      Tuolumne
      Steven Umland
      15818 Parkridge Ave.
      Sonora, CA 95370
      sumland@...

      We currently do not have a regional editor for Marin
      County. Records from this county should be sent
      directly to the Regional Editors.

      The Reporting Deadlines are:
      Spring Summer Fall
      Winter

      Season ends May 31 July 31 Nov 30
      Feb 28

      Observer reports to Subregional Editors (SREs)
      June 10 Aug 10 Dec 10
      Mar 10

      Observer reports to Regional Editors (if not sent to
      SRE)
      June 10 Aug 10 Dec 10
      Mar 10

      SRE reports to Regional Editors
      June 20 Aug 20 Dec 20
      Mar 20

      Regional Editors final text to ABA office
      July 10 Sep 10 Jan 10
      Apr 10

      PLEASE meet your deadlines so that we can meet our
      deadlines!

      Please send reports in our preferred order: species,
      date(s) [including year], locale, co. abbrev., number
      of birds, and observer, and then, on a second line,
      any comments. Please separate these sections by a
      "tab" (except just a space between locale and county
      abbreviation) on electronic versions submitted.
      Again, here's an example of the correct format:

      Grace's Warbler 12/13/98-2/20/99 Jacks Peak MTY 1
      RFT, mob
      A second record for the Region (the first was
      6/26/91 at Deer Spring, Glass Mt. MNO) which wintered
      with a large flock of Townsend's & Hermit warblers at
      the very top of Jacks Peak in Jacks Peak Regional
      Park. Details by Tintle and others are enclosed.

      Many observers and Subregional Editors have been
      submitting their reports by e-mail. PLEASE submit
      electronic reports if possible. We are trying to
      maintain an electronic database of at least recent
      records, and we hope to be able to have all old data
      entered eventually so that the entire database will be
      easily accessible to anyone who wants it. Electronic
      submission of records in the format described above
      makes it much easier for us maintain this electronic
      database.

      We've heard questions about, comments on, and
      criticism of our regional reports from several
      observers and SREs. We really appreciate this
      feedback, as it helps us to better represent what is
      going on in the Region as a whole. Please help us
      correct any factual errors we make, and don't hesitate
      to let us know what you think of the reports.

      Many thanks to all the contributors and Subregional
      Editors who make these reports possible!

      Sincerely,

      Ed Pandolfino, Mike Rogers, Scott Terrill, and Steve
      Glover

      (Middle Pacific Coast Regional Editors)