Panoche Valley

  • ltjaeger4v4@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 12, 2006
      I had a nice day of birding in San Benito County today, with an emphasis on
      Panoche Valley.

      Paicines Reservoir had a good variety of ducks, along with an adult and a
      first year BALD EAGLE. An adult FERRUGINOUS HAWK at the far end of the reservoir
      proved to be the only one I was see all day.

      Mammals from the day included feral pigs, coyote, and numerous deer,
      including ten on one spot. A couple of tarantulas were spotted as well. Falcon Rock
      had a WHITE-THROATED SWIFT and a couple of Calif Thrashers, but no falcons. A
      bit farther up the road, I encounted about a dozen WILD TURKEYS.

      RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROWS were amazingly cooperative at the traditional
      spots, even allowing for some decent photographs. Obviously, these birds realized I
      wasn't trying to show them to anyone else, and decided to allow full views.
      :-)

      A LEWIS WOODPECKER was seen between the RC Sparrow spot and McCullough Ranch,
      near a lone oak next to a windmill, in the same area where Earl Lebow found a
      bird about three years ago.

      Several GOLDEN EAGLES were seen beyond the Panoche Valley Inn. I decided to
      bird the New Idria Road area, since it was early and I hadn't seen any Praire
      Falcons or Mountain Bluebirds yet. About 5 miles past the cattle pens on New
      Idria, I ran into a small flock of about 10 MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRDS. Additional
      Golden Eagles were seen in this area, along with a couple PRAIRIE FALCONS, and a
      GREATER ROADRUNNER. I drove about a mile past the end of the county road, at
      which point the conditions deteriorated greatly and rapidily. Enough!!! Time
      to head back to the valley to look for the remaining specialities.

      Little Panoche Road produced a couple more Mountain Bluebirds, and another
      Greater Roadrunner was added just before the dip leading into the creek
      crossing and marshy area. Several more Prairie Falcons were along here as well.
      No Mountain Plovers, however, despite much scanning. I continued searching
      to no avail along Recalde Rd, then finally turned down Norton Road (the dirt
      road next to the Panoche School; sometimes, I get Recalde and Norton mixed up,
      so it might be the other way around.

      A blackbird flock near the loading pens on Recalde included about half a
      dozen TRI-COLORED BLACKBIRDS, a bird sometimes missed on Panoche Valley CBC's. I
      kept scanning the fields for plovers, and the Horned Lark flocks for
      longspurs. Finally across from the trikes, I was able to spot a single MOUNTAIN
      PLOVER. I watched this bird for about 20 minutes, hoping it would reveal the
      location of addtional plovers, but no luck. Eventually, it disappeared into taller
      grass in the distance. If there were more plovers there, I wasn't able to see
      them.

      Continuing along Recalde Rd to where it makes a sharp left, I was able to
      spot two BURROWING OWLS, near a local house featuring a yard full of dogs. I
      hooked up with Little Panoche Road after stopping to watch a Prairie Falcon
      stoop half a dozen times on a Red-tailed Hawk. Along Little Panoche Rd., I found
      my only MERLIN of the day; a nice adult male perched alongside the road.

      I looked for Chukar at Shotgun Pass without success, then decided to skip
      Mersey Hot Springs and the BLM area and head home, since I had a few errands to
      run prior to a trip out of town tomorrow morning.

      A few photos from the day can be seen at:
      http://www.pbase.com/ternvomitthief/recent_photos&page=all

      Some of these photos are mediocre at best; but a few are decent. They do,
      however, catch some of the highlights of the day.

      Clay Kempf
      Watsonville, CA

    • Debra Shearwater
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2011
        Hello, Birders,

        Below, please find more information about how to integrate and merge your previously published eBird lists for Panoche Valley with the new eBird lists. More than 500 birders visited Panoche Valley last winter and this notice should be helpful to many birders. For the future, I will not post to Calbirds with this information. Not sure if it applies to Calbirds, but making an attempt to get this info out to folks. I will post to Monterey Bay Birds and Countybirders and my own blog, unless there is something special, bird-wise to report. Additional information from Brian Sullivan, below:

        Birders

        As an addendum to this note, if you have birded Panoche Valley in the past, and have plotted your own personal locations that duplicate some of the newly established hotspots, you can merge your locations (and your data) with the existing hotspots. Here's how:

        Go to "My eBird" and then to "Manage my locations". Click 'edit' next to the location you wish to merge. You'll get a map showing your personal location. Click 'Merge', and you'll get a map with the personal location and the existing hotspots. Click on the hotspot that you wish to merge into, click 'merge' and check the box that says 'delete after merging' (this will remove your personal location when the merge is complete). Only perform this operation if your locations are duplicates of these hotspots. eBird always encourages data submissions from precise locations, so in my case, I have a string of point count locations scattered around the valley that are not duplicates of nearby hotspots, and should thus not be merged.

        The biggest problem for conducting analysis (and for your lists) is when you combine a single day's worth of birding into one eBird checklist. Then the Long-eared Owls at Mercey Hot Springs are plotted in the wrong place, Lewis's Woodpeckers up on the pass end up on the valley floor etc. So it's always best to be cognizant of where you are, and to try to keep your eBird checklists to more refined geographic areas. I know this is more data entry (lord I know!), but it really adds value to the data you provide to eBird.

        Thanks

        Brian

        Debra Shearwater
        Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
        PO Box 190
        Hollister, CA 95024
        831.637.8527
        debi@...
        www.shearwaterjourneys.com
        www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

        High Arctic: Polar Bears, Walrus & Seabirds: 28 Jun - 8 July, 2013 charter with Debi