Tulare Co. FULVOUS WHISTLING-DUCKS

  • Kathryn Parker
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2006
      Today, 1 Nov., 2006, I tried for the FULVOUS WHISTLING-DUCKS at Dead
      Pigs Pond in Tulare Co. hoping for 4th time being the charm. I went
      with the intention of staying there until I saw one. When I pulled up,
      there was an adult standing up in the sun at the north end of the first
      clear water from the south end of the west pond. Nearby were 2 other
      birds snuggled down in the weeds. As I watched, they started to swim
      out. 2 adults came out together, soon after another bird emerged, &
      then the 4th appeared. I was back in my car when a 5th FULVOUS
      WHISTLING-DUCK appeared with seemingly 6 downy ducklings following
      close behind.
      The ducklings were a grayish color with a dark crown and a dark
      eye-stripe. They all faded back into the vegetation very quickly and I
      waited an hour hoping they would reappear, but they never did. I have
      looked in my copy of The Ducks, Geese and Swan of North America by
      Francis H. Kortright, 1942 which shows downy young. The picture on p.
      458 is what I believe I saw. The other duckling it could be would be
      Ruddy Duck.
      A. The only other adult duck in the area that I saw was a female
      mallard, and these were not mallard ducklings. They were gray, not
      yellow & brown. Also, the shape was wrong - their heads were big in
      relation to the rest of the body.
      B. The dark crown on a Ruddy Duck duckling goes down below the eye, and
      the stripe is a cheek stripe. The dark crowns on these ducklings did
      not seem that extensive, and the stripe seemed to go through the eye,
      not across the cheek.
      I really believe I saw FULVOUS WHISTLING-DUCK ducklings however, I was
      in my car looking through a curved windshield so did not have the best
      look and was only using my binoculars (10x Zeiss). By the time I got
      out of my car, the ducks had disappeared. I was so excited by the
      ducklings that I did not notice if the duck they were with was an
      adult.
      Hopefully, someone else will see these ducklings.

      Kathy Parker
      Los Gatos