Fwd: Red-breasted Flycatcher

  • aguillard2469
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 25, 2006
      For the life of me, I do not know why this was not posted on
      Calbirds yet????

      Doug Aguillard
      San Diego, CA
      doug@...

      --- In central_valley_birds@yahoogroups.com, "sidney_england"
      <asenglnd@...> wrote:

      At 2:41 p.m. today (10/25), Maria Wong left me a message that she
      was
      out along Putah Creek with John Sterling and Scott Terrill, and that
      John and Scott had found a bird they had identified visually and
      vocally as a Red-breasted Flycatcher. Her message said they were
      along the State Highway at a paved pullout near mile post 127 below
      the dam. I assume that she meant State Highway 128 and the dam was
      Monticello Dam which forms Lake Berryessa, not to be confused with
      Putah Diversion Dam which also in on Putah Creek and forms Lake
      Solano.

      I have been unsuccessful at reaching Maria on her cell phone which
      is
      916-835-2709.

      Good Luck,

      Sid England

      --- End forwarded message ---
    • Al Eisner
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 25, 2006
        On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, aguillard2469 wrote:

        > For the life of me, I do not know why this was not posted on
        > Calbirds yet????
        >
        > --- In central_valley_birds@yahoogroups.com, "sidney_england"
        > <asenglnd@...> wrote:
        >
        > At 2:41 p.m. today (10/25), Maria Wong left me a message that she
        > was
        > out along Putah Creek with John Sterling and Scott Terrill, and that
        > John and Scott had found a bird they had identified visually and
        > vocally as a Red-breasted Flycatcher. Her message said they were
        > along the State Highway at a paved pullout near mile post 127 below
        > the dam. I assume that she meant State Highway 128 and the dam was
        > Monticello Dam which forms Lake Berryessa, not to be confused with
        > Putah Diversion Dam which also in on Putah Creek and forms Lake
        > Solano.

        This has been phoned in to Northern California Birdbox by John Sterling.
        Yes, it is highway 128 -- he says to take it west past Lake Solano toward
        Montecello Dam. At mile 1.32, turn left into a fishing access, park in
        the lot, and walk toward the creek. John said the bird was more easily
        seen from the Solano Co. side than the Yolo Co. side. He also said that
        Red-breasted and Red-throated Flycatcher have been split, and he did not
        pin it down further than this pair, in winter plumage. He has photos.

        Al Eisner
      • James F. Holmes
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 25, 2006
          The Red-breasted Flycatcher was found this afternoon by John Sterling. It
          is along Putah Creek and spent time in both Yolo and Solano counties. I saw
          it today around 6pm (I believe it was first found around 2pm). When I
          arrived just after 5pm, it had just been seen, but then we did not locate it
          again for almost 1 hour.

          Location: Go west along Hwy 128 from Winters. As you go west on 128 watch
          the mileage markers on the right side of the road. As you head west on Hwy
          128, you will go past Lake Solano Park (which is at the intersection of Hwy
          128 and Pleasants Valley Road). Approximately 3 miles past Lake Solano
          Park/Pleasants Valley Road intersection is the location for the bird. Just
          west of mile marker 1.32 (along highway 128), there is a turn off to the
          south (left as you are heading west on hwy 128). This leads to a small dirt
          parking lot. You can park here or on the highway.

          We last saw the bird from the parking lot but it spent most of the day
          directly south of the parking lot along the creek in both Solano and Yolo
          counties. you will probably want to walk from the parking lot along the
          dirt trail to the creek. I would suggest having footwear that can get wet
          as several people were waiding in the stream.

          Several people had very good photos. Alas, I was not one of them.

          Good luck,

          Jim Holmes
          Sacramento, CA

        • Jim Tietz
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2006
            Hi,

            Here's a summary of the highlight birds from Southeast
            Farallon Island for the month of October. Biologists
            present during this time period were Adam Brown, Ryan
            Burnett, Phil Capitilo, Jenny Erbes, Katie Fehring,
            Rob Fowler, Andy Pfeffer, Jim Tietz, Bobby Walsh, and
            Jared Wolfe.

            Flesh-footed Shearwater 4
            Brown Booby 3
            Taverner's Cackling Goose 1
            Ferruginous Hawk 1; 2nd island record
            American Coot 1; <20 island records
            Sharp-tailed Sandpiper 1; 8th island record
            Short-eared Owl 10
            Long-eared Owl 4
            Northern Saw-whet Owl 1
            Yellow-bellied Flycatcher 1
            Brown Thrasher 2
            Northern Parula 1; 10/31 latest record by 3 weeks
            Magnolia Warbler 2
            Palm Warbler 15
            Blackburnian Warbler 2; both arrived and banded 10/29
            Blackpoll Warbler 2
            American Redstart 1
            Ovenbird 1
            Northern Waterthrush 1
            Connecticut Warbler 2; 1 on 10/29 latest record for CA
            Summer Tanager 1
            Scarlet Tanager 1
            American Tree Sparrow 1
            Brewer's Sparrow 4
            Clay-colored Sparrow 12
            Vesper Sparrow 3
            Grasshopper Sparrow 3
            Swamp Sparrow 2
            White-throated Sparrow 10
            Slate-colored Junco 7
            Lapland Longspur 11
            Chestnut-collared Longspur 2
            Rose-breasted Grosbeak 2
            Dickcissel 1
            Bobolink 2
            Tricolored Blackbird 1
            Yellow-headed Blackbird 1
            Rusty Blackbird 1

            James R. Tietz
            Southeast Farallon Island

            Want to start your own business? Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business
            (http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com)