Zzyzx etcetera: Oct 11-13

  • vireos44
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 13, 2006
      Hi,

      Just back after a nightmarish trek on the I-15 south (more on that
      later). Here's a chronology of birding in the east Mojave the past 2
      and a half days: Late afternoon Wednesday, there was a Harris's
      Sparrow (probably an adult) at Zzyzx, along with the usual suspects.
      On Thursday, while watching the male Prothonotary Warbler feeding
      amongst the red fruits in his favorite fan palm beyond the
      dilapidated pool house, a second drabber female Prothonotary came
      into view. At Horse Thief Springs that day, there was a hatch-year
      (HY) Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, along with two Cassin's Finches and
      the Varied Thrush. At Beck Spring was another Varied Thrush and the
      Woodhouse's Scrub-Jay. At China Ranch, there was a relatively drab
      HY female Painted Bunting. Today at China Ranch, a Yellow-throated
      Vireo was in the cottonwoods around the Bed and Breakfast. The
      Painted Bunting continued up the road from the B & B, near the road
      just past the second house that has a driveway lined with tall
      palms. There was also a drab HY female Dickcissel along the road
      halfway between the previously described locations. Horse Thief had
      the Varied Thrush still and several Winter Wrens. Also, worth noting
      is the fact that I didn't see the Wood Thrush at Crystal Spring the
      past two days.

      For those that just HAVE to get out to Zzyzx to see the oriole this
      weekend, I have one bit of advice: DON'T GO!. If you are dependent
      on taking I-15/215 south to get home, the highway signs warned of 2-
      3 hours to get from 395 to I-10 due to the closure of I-15 South at
      the 215 interchange. If you still feel you HAVE to go, then you
      might try a route that helped me on the return trip. Take Main St
      east into Hesperia just before reaching 395. This will get you to
      Arrowhead Lake Rd (south), to the 173 (west), to the 138 (east), to
      the 18 in Crestline, to San Bernadino and I-10. Of course, expect
      slow driving on the 215 until you at least get past the 60.

      Good Luck.

      Jim Pike
      Huntington Beach
    • Lilith Mageborn
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 13, 2006
        The closure of the 15/215 started this morning and will last until at
        least October 15th per freeway signs on the 91 East. I'm hearing 18th,
        due to delays from tonight's rain.

        Sue Jorgenson
        Anaheim

        On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 03:41:43 -0000 "vireos44" <jpike44@...>
        writes:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Just back after a nightmarish trek on the I-15 south (more on that
        > later).

        <BIG SNIP>