Humboldt County wood-pewee update

  • Ken Burton
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2006
      I spent 45 minutes this morning watching, mostly with a scope, a pewee at the Cypress Patch on the north side of the mouth of Humboldt Bay, where David Fix reported a possible Eastern Wood-Pewee yesterday. It perched mainly on the cypress in the middle of the entrance drive but moved to the adjacent eucalypt and nearby cypresses when the resident black phoebe was around.

      Although today's bird did not vocalize as it did for David or exhibit the tail-fanning behavior he described, I believe it's the same bird and feel it's a strong candidate for an EAWP. The wing bars are uniform, buff, and very distinct. The tertial edgings/tips are broad and bright. The lower mandible is ambiguous, with about as much dark tip as one could accept on an EAWP (Figure 142-B in Pyle). As the light improved, I noticed a slight olive cast to the upperparts, with a paler line between the back and uppertail coverts. The "vest" seems a bit more restricted than I'm used to on WEWP. There is just a hint of an eye-ring at the back.

      This date is only three days shy of the latest WEWP record for Northwestern California.

      Ken Burton
      McKinleyville