Trip Report for Sep 29, Sep 30, & Oct 1, 2006

  • Debi Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2006
      Hi, Birders,

      This is a compilation report of the Shearwater Journey's September 29
      & 30 and October 1 trips from Monterey Bay. This entire weekend was one
      of the most unforgettable times I've had in recent years. All three
      days, the seas were glassy calm. Afternoon lighting was just beautiful.
      I previously reported on the September 30th trip where we documented a
      STREAKED SHEARWATER. I also reported on the October 1 trip where we
      documented a MANX SHEARWATER. I forgot to include in that report that
      we also saw two different dark morph Pink-footed Shearwaters. These
      dark Pink-foots can be extremely confusing. I did not write a trip
      report for the September 29th trip. So, the species list is reported
      here for the first time.

      Several enthusiastic birders participated in all three trips, and were
      very pleased with their results: 40 species of seabirds, including 6
      species of shearwaters and 5 species of alcids, and 11 species of
      marine mammals. Nothing can top the Streaked Shearwater, though.

      The species list for Sep 29/Sep 30/Oct 1 follows:

      RED-THROATED LOON-1/0/0
      COMMON LOON-0/0/1
      EARED GREBE-35/7/1
      WESTERN GREBE-5/0/0
      BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS-0/1/3
      NORTHERN FULMAR-2/5/0
      ***STREAKED SHEARWATER-0/1/0
      PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER-332/245/310
      FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER-3/0/4
      BULLER'S SHEARWATER-53/25/60
      SOOTY SHEARWATER-10,000/2,000/750
      MANX SHEARWATER-0/0/1
      WILSON'S STORM-PETREL-0/2 or 3/1
      ASHY STORM-PETREL-700/8000/6000
      BLACK STORM-PETREL-0/200/175
      BROWN PELICAN-+/150/+
      BRANDT'S CORMORANT-++/900/700
      DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT-1/0/0
      PELAGIC CORMORANT-4/1/1
      HARLEQUIN DUCK-1/0/1
      NORTHERN PINTAIL-0/0/1
      BLACK TURNSTONE-13/0/6
      DUNLIN-0/0/4
      RED-NECKED PHALAROPE-150/125/55
      SOUTH POLAR SKUA-9/26/7
      POMARINE JAEGER-32/68/45
      POMARINE/PARASITIC-8/10/7
      PARASITIC JAEGER-3/6/3
      JAEGER sp.-10/12/0
      HEERMANN'S GULL-+/250/200
      CALIFORNIA GULL-+/1000+/1500+
      WESTERN GULL-+/300/400
      SABINE'S GULL-5/21/16
      ELEGANT TERN-82/48/30
      COMMON TERN-3/2/0
      COMMON/ARCTIC-0/2/0
      ARCTIC TERN-4/0/0
      FORSTER'S TERN=0/0/1
      COMMON MURRE-40/18/130
      PIGEON GUILLEMOT-5/1/3
      CASSIN'S AUKLET-1/4/3
      RHINOCEROS AUKLET-85/80/50
      TUFTED PUFFIN-0/0/1
      PEREGINE FALCON-0/0/2
      SEA OTTER-+/1/+
      CALIFORNIA SEA LION-++/400/500+
      NORTHERN FUR SEAL-1/11/0
      NORTHERN ELEPHANT SEAL-3/3/0
      HARBOR SEAL-+/+/+
      BLUE WHALE-0/2/0
      HUMPBACK WHALE-21/18/15
      NORTHERN RIGHT WHALE DOLPHIN-500/0/750
      RISSO'S DOLPHIN-200+/0/11
      PACIFIC WHITE-SIDED DOLPHIN-80/80/250
      DALL'S PORPOISE-25/24/19
      OCEAN SUNFISH-3/2/4
      BLUE SHARK-0/2/0

      Upcoming trips: We have spaces available on the following trips:
      October 6, 8, 14, 22, & 28 from Monterey, 7 am - 3pm; October 7 and 15
      offshore from Monterey, 5:30 am - 5:30 pm; and October 9 and 13 from
      Bodega Bay. If you would like to make a reservation, please call or
      email me as soon as possible.

      Shearwaters forever,
      Debi

      Debra Love Shearwater