Fork-tailed Question

  • Thomas Miko
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2006
      Hi,
      I had a Tyrannus fly over me while I was sitting in traffic today in LA, near the San Gabriel River. I had great looks at the bird as it flew towards me, then over my car, but I only saw its size, shape, flight style, etc., but no colors i.e. plumage field marks.
      Honestly? It 99% most likely was 'only' an adult male Scissor-tailed Flycatcher (and even though I have bumped into Pin-tailed Whydah along the LA River, this bird was a Tyrannus, not an exotic). Its tail length was incredible.
      So, what should I look for next time, to not blow off a Fork-tailed Flycatcher?
      This bird's tail was straight, and held together in one long ribbon. In various field guides, Fork-tailed appears to hold its long tail spread out in flight in a heart-shaped arc, somewhat like a Lyrebird.
      So???

      Thomas Miko (Mikó Tamás)

      thomas.miko@...
      thomas_miko@...

      653 S. Indian Hill Blvd., #C
      Claremont, CA 91711
      U.S.A.
      34.109167 N, 117.718293 W

      home: (909) 445-1456
      cell: (626) 390-1935
      work: (323) 226-7855

      FRS radio channel 11 code 22

      http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/birdsofhungary
      "The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast."
      -Oscar Wilde