FULVOUS WHISTLING-DUCK in Holister, SBT

  • Matt Brady
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2006
      Hey Birders. Steve Rovell just called me to say that
      he and Debi Shearwater, while birding at the Holister
      Sewage Ponds, found an unbanded FULVOUS
      WHISTLING-DUCK. I believe this would constitute the
      first San Benito County record, if it proves to be a
      wild bird. The bird was extremely flighty. It was
      associating with Shovelers in the long ponds behind
      the main office, so I do not think the bird will be
      visible from outside of the fence. However, the staff
      at the ponds are extremely birder-friendly, so all you
      have to do is check in at the office and let them know
      you'll be birding around. You can also drive around
      the ponds, which is nice. I'm not sure how late the
      ponds are open, but I believe they're open until 3 or
      4 in the afternoon. Steve also left a message on the
      Monterey Bay BirdBox. That number is (831) 626-6605.
      Good birding, and if you go for the Duck, good luck!!

      Matt Brady
      Santa Cruz, CA

      http://mail.yahoo.com