Kern Valley vultures and rabbitbrush

  • Ali Sheehey
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2006
      Hi All

      Today begins our annual celebration of the migration of Turkey Vultures. I
      saw several hundred vultures land in the forest last night and we are
      looking for a great drop-in tonight and through the weekend. To see vultures
      it is best to arrive in the valley before 9am as they normally lift from
      their overnight roosts around 9:30am. If you want to come later they will
      stop migrating for the day around 4pm and begin to land in the forest
      between 5 and sunset.

      There is a festival tomorrow and field trip offerings all day Sunday, if
      anyone cares to come down. Live fish, amphibians, reptiles, and raptors will
      be on display to see and photograph. At 12:30pm there is a workshop on
      gardening with native plants. See the full schedule here:
      http://kern.audubon.org/tvfest_activities.htm

      Also, although not at peak yet, the color of the rabbitbrush at Walker Pass
      is beginning to spread a beautiful golden glow over the landscape.
      Definitely should peak near the pass within the next few days and the peak
      in the South Fork valley should be over the next few weeks.

      Fall color in the forest is weeks away, and generally peaks as the
      rabbitbrush begins to wane.

      So, come on down or up and enjoy Autumn here soon.

      Ali

      Alison Sheehey
      P.O. Box 153
      Weldon, CA 93283