Late post weekend trip to Cortez Bank

  • Eric Kershner
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20, 2006
      This past weekend a group made up mostly of young biologists chartered a fishing boat out of San Diego to visit the area around the Cortez and 60 mile bank looking for fall seabirds. We spent two nights on the boat leaving us a full day in off-shore waters.

      The weather was excellent and made for very pleasant viewing of birds and other oceanic life. While the birds seemed to be widely distributed and low in number overall, we did manage to run a decent list with very nice looks at many species (especially storm-petrels, long-tailed Jaeger, and arctic tern). We also had some interesting terrestrial visitors to the boat at least 70 miles offshore: including 3 Mourning Doves (of which circled and landed on the boat for at least 3-4 hours), 2 brown-headed cowbirds that rested on the boat for an hour or so and an interesting warbler type passerine that was being chased by a Parasitic jaeger. Below is the complete list.

      Northern Fulmar - 1
      Unknown Shearwater - 5 (too distant to work with)
      Pink-footed Shearwater - 12
      Sooty Shearwater - 1
      Buller's Shearwater - 1
      Unknown Stormpetrel - 8 to 20+ (again too distant to work with)
      Leach's Stormpetrel 40 white-rumps; approximately 40+ dark-rumped
      Black Stormpetrel - 193
      Ashy Stormpetrel - 1 possible
      Least Stormpetrel - 12
      Brown Pelican - 1 (closer into shore, while night running)
      Unk Phalarope - 9
      Red-necked Phalarope - 10
      Red Phalarope - 8
      Unknown Jaeger - 6 (too distant)
      Pomarine Jaeger - 12
      Parasitic Jaeger - 3
      Long-tailed Jaeger - 1 (made several very close passes around the boat)
      Western Gull - 23+
      Sabine's Gull - 2 (1 adult and 1 juvenile)
      "Comic" Tern - 12
      Common Tern - 8
      Arctic Tern - at least 50 (probably up to 100)
      Cassin's Auklet - 7
      Xantus's Murrelet - 1
      Common Murre - 2 (closer into shore, while night running)

      Morning Dove - 3
      Brown-headed Cowbird - 2
      Passarine sp (warbler??) - 1 chased by PAJA

      4+ Fin Whales
      5 Pilot Whales
      100+ Common Dolphin
      2 Sea Turtle Sp
      7 Dragonfly Sp
      many schools of tuna (including spawning schools)
      At least 2 Marlin/Swordfish
      1 very large jellyfish (likely about 4-5 foot in diameter)

      I am considering putting together this trip again in the spring and next fall for those that might be interested.

      Eric L. Kershner

      Eric L. Kershner, Ph.D.
      Sr Conservation Biologist
      TAIC