Wood duck and phalarope at Venice Beach State Park, near Half Moon Bay

  • jshpacifica
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2006
      Sat Sept 16, my husband and I observed a male Wood duck in eclipse plumage for more than
      a half an hour between 11:05 and 11:40 am at Venice Beach, just south of El Granada in San
      Mateo County. We also watched 5 Red-necked phalaropes in the creek where it joins the
      beach. A great spot for observing is about 40 yards west of the group camp site, which leads
      to a bluff over the creek. In addition to thousands of gulls, there was a snowy egret in
      breeding plumage.
      Janet Hathaway
      Pacifica, CA