Re: [CALBIRDS] Nocturnal migration of Elegant Terns

  • Don Roberson
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 12, 2006
      At least a substantial proportion of the S.F. Bay Least Tern population
      migrates up and down the coast during the day, given the number of
      spring and fall migrants we record at Elkhorn Slough and Salinas River
      mouth. I suspect that these cut inland and over the Santa Cruz Mts, as
      do Caspian Terns over David Suddjian's house, to get to S.F. Bay. Such
      a route would explain the absence of birds on the outer San Mateo County
      coast. However, I don't see any particular reason to think they do so
      at night, as opposed to the day, given the daytime movements we see in
      MTY annually, and some of which are seen actively flying north along the
      coast.

      Don Roberson
      Pacific Grove MTY