Death Valley and Deep Springs questions

  • Steve Glover
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 2006
      Hi everyone,
      My recent request for help was so successful I figured
      I would try again. We are staying in Death Valley for
      two nights next week and I am wondering what the
      current restrictions are for Furnace Creek. Where can
      you bird and where can't you bird.
      Also, how does one go about birding Deep Springs
      College these days? Do you need permission ahead of
      time? Where can you go and what is off-limits?
      Thanks in advance,
      Steve Glover
      Dublin, CA
    • Kristie Nelson
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 10, 2006
        Hi Steve,

        Deep Springs folks have been friendly about birders. A call in ahead of time
        is preferred by them (but there have been times I just drop in and ask -
        they have always been friendly). The number is 760-872-2000. A call ahead
        would keep things smooth and amiable.

        Furnace creek is a different story. From what I hear, the owners distain
        birders, and have gone to every effort to but do not enter signs abundantly
        - at every break in the bushes surrounding the golf course. You could not
        possibly enter the golf course and pretend not to have seen the signs. Even
        FCR employees are not allowed to walk around the golf course. That said,
        people still do it (even myself). It would fuel the fire I'm sure if the
        owners saw it. I have asked grounds keepers is it is ok and gotten
        permission from them. But it does not feel right (even tough I've done it).
        My personal approach has been to be out there at very first light, and leave
        as soon as the first golfers or grounds keepers arrive. Head to the sewer
        ponds, etc.
        I think Tom and Jo, to not make enemies, just are not visiting the golf
        course at all. They investigated paying a donation/entrance fee, until
        finding out it was over $100!
        The FC Inn has been closed the last number of years (too expensive to keep
        it running, when there are enough rooms at the ranch), and nosing around
        there has not really felt right to me - but usually I don't see anyone whom
        I could ask permission. Maybe a call ahead of time.

        A real bummer with no good solution. Such a great birding location. Birders
        have still been going there, finding awesome stuff, and if you are very
        careful not to disturb golfers (which brings attention and spoils the
        reputation for all) it is probably not going to cause too much trouble but
        is certainly risky (I'd always ask grounds keepers, at a minimum).

        Good luck and have a fun trip!