RE: [CALBIRDS] Crystal spring yet again

  • James Holmes Jr
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2006
      Steve and Calbirds,

      I am currently lecturing at a conference in Las Vegas but had today off
      so I went to Crystal Spring. I found the Wood Thrush today (sept 6). As
      I was in Las Vegas, I came in from the north (Tecopa). I made it in a
      low clearance, two wheel drive rental car. No problems for such a car
      when coming from the north.

      Directions:
      Take Furnace Creek Road out of Tecopa. Furnace Creek Road heads south
      from Tecopa at its intersection with Old Spanish Trail Hwy (also known as
      Tecopa Road). This intersection is on the eastern edge of Tecopah. It
      is signed and there is also a large sign for China Ranch. The road here
      is paved, but becomes dirt after a few miles. Go south on Furnace Creek
      Road until you get to Smith Talc Road (which is also signed). Before
      you get to Smith Talc Road, you will pass Western Talc Road but do not
      take Western Talc road. Continue on Smith Talc Road and it will
      eventually head up into the hills and you will see Crystal Spring on the
      left (east side of road).

      Crystal spring has a small abandoned settlement. There were a couple of
      heavy trucks that came up while I was there. Not sure what type of work
      they were doing. There is a fence at the site and a water collection area
      with a hose from the spring origin to collect the water for animals/cows.
      The Wood Thrush (which has no tail) was at the site where the water
      actually comes out of the mountain (go all the way up the canyon along
      the stream to the origin). There are some wood boards covering the area
      where the water comes out of the hill. There are two mesquite just above
      the site where the water comes out of the hill, and the thrush never got
      out of these two mesquite. THe Swainson's thrush and Hermit thrush moved
      up and down the area (from the water collection site to the spring
      origin), but the Wood thrush never moved away from the spring origin.

      I wrote down the exact distances but left this information in the rental
      car in the parking lot. I believe that it was 11 miles from Tecopa to
      Smith Talc Road and then another 6.5 miles along Smith Talc Road to
      Crystal Spring. I will try and post the distances tomorrow when I go
      back to the rental car.

      There were lots of birds around despite this being a small area. I had
      the following migrants: Swainson's Thrush, Hermit Thrush, Western
      Tanager, several Black-headed Grosbeaks, imm. male Rose-breasted
      Grosbeak, Nashville, Orange-crowned, and Yellow Warblers.

      Good luck,

      Jim Holmes

      > Hi all,
      > I have seen a lot of directions posted for getting to
      > Crystal Spring via the road from the south (which
      > doesn't sound like a lot of fun) but haven't seen any
      > specifics for getting there from Tecopa, other than it
      > is apparently a lot easier and doable in a passenger
      > car. On a map it would appear easy to take Furnace
      > Creek Rd. to Smith Talc Rd. Is it that simple?
      > Anything else I should know?
      > Steve Glover
      > Dublin

    • James F. Holmes
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 8, 2006
        I did not include the correct mileage in my post earlier about the
        directions to Crystal Spring from Tecopa.

        Here is the correct mileage:

        From Tecopah go 8.7 miles south along Furnace Creek Road to the intersection
        with Smith Talc Road. Turn right on Smith Talc Road.

        Take Smith Talc Road for 6.5 miles until you arrive at Crystal Spring.

        Good luck,

        Jim Holmes