Siberian Express in the making???

  • Brian Sullivan
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2006
      Birders

      An interesting phenomenon is happening as I write this to our north in
      Alaska. The remnants of an incredibly strong typhoon are passing over the
      Aleutians and into the Bering Sea. Right now gusts of near hurricane force
      southwesterly winds are pounding Attu and Adak. Winds are forecast to shift
      to the West at 50 mph tomorrow. Paul Lehman might be in the right position
      up at Gambell for a mega-fallout of Siberian vagrants as are the folks up on
      the Pribolofs and anyone on the Aleutians. This storm tracked north up the
      coast of Asia and crossed over the Kamchatka Peninsula, undoubtedly picking
      up birds en route. This system could contain landbirds, shorebirds and
      seabirds, as its really covered some ground in the past week.

      Could we see a phenomenon in North America in the wake of this storm like
      the Brits experienced after extra-tropical Hurricane Wilma deposited scads
      of North American vagrants on their shores last October? Granted, we have
      fewer people in position to receive the direct benefits of this storm, but
      the effects of Wilma were felt as far south as the Azores where unusual
      numbers of North American vagrants appeared late last fall. I suspect that
      if this storm picked up lots of Siberian landbirds we might see some of its
      effects along the Pacific Coast in the coming weeks. It remains to be seen,
      but it might be a good idea to brush up on our Lucostella and Phylloscopus
      identifications!!!

      Thanks

      --
      Brian L. Sullivan