Salton Sea September 2-3

  • Jennifer Rycenga
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2006
      Kris Olson, Peggy Macres + I birded the Salton Sea on Saturday and Sunday of
      the Labor Day weekend. We saw most of the noted rare birds of the past few
      weeks.
      BLUE-FOOTED BOOBY - we saw four birds circling and perched on Mullet Island
      on Sunday morning, by walking along the riparian of Alamo river and scoping
      from the last shady opening of the tamarisk. Sunday evening around 5:00 we
      saw the Riverside County bird at the Whitewater River Draw.
      PIPING PLOVER - as previously reported by Steve Glover, we laboriously
      scanned, debated, and identified the plover while it preened at the edge of
      our scope views. Others, including Mike and Alma Rogers, got closer views
      later in the day at the spot mentioned close to the southernmost duck blind
      on the Red Hill Marina sandbar.
      WOOD STORK - We saw two individual birds - one adult and one juvenile - one
      by Lack and Lindsey and another by the shoreline turn at the southern end of
      Obsidian Butte.
      GULL-BILLED TERN - Three at the sea end of McDonald.
      RUDDY TURNSTONE - One at the sea end of Garst Road on Saturday (not seen on
      Sunday).
      FRANKLIN'S GULLS - Mike Rogers quickly picked two of these out of a large
      field of mostly LAUGHING GULLS half a block east of Lack and Lindsey. There
      was also one WILSON'S PHALAROPE there on both Saturday and Sunday.
      REDDISH EGRET - we saw this bird on Saturday near the shoreline on Lindsey
      past Lack
      YELLOW-FOOTED GULLS - were abundant in the south Salton Sea, and common
      enough in Riverside county. We got to study a lot of different plumages of
      this garguantuan-billed speciality.
      RUDDY-GROUND DOVE - two were heard by us on our third visit to the Eddins
      and Sperry corner. Thanks to Todd MCGrath for hints. We had plenty of all
      the other doves - COMMON GROUND-DOVE, WHITE-WINGED DOVE, INCA DOVE, EURASIAN
      COLLARED-DOVE, and MOURNING DOVE.

      We were impressed with the sheer numbers of CASPIAN TERNS, BLACK SKIMMERS,
      AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS, BROWN PELICANS, and BLACK TERNS. We also enjoyed
      the antics of BURROWING OWL and GREATER ROADRUNNER families.

      Also seen at the sea were a plethora of fine birds - Steve Glover, Mike and
      Alma Rogers, Todd McGrath, plus many out-of-state birders. It was a great
      time, albeit a tad hot, foul smelling, and filled with biting flies.

      Birding at the Salton Sea - its not for Schrimps!

      Jennifer Rycenga
      Half Moon Bay, CA