Piping Plover 9/3

  • Steve Glover
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2006
      Hello all,
      This morning the Piping Plover was present at Red Hill
      Marina, Imperial County, though it was once again
      further up the shoreline than the bird has usually
      been noted. I saw the bird with Kris Olsen and
      Jennifer Rycenga (hopefully I spelled at least one of
      their names correctly) from roughly 10-10:30 I had
      been looking for at least an hour before I found it.
      Upon entering Red Hill, turn left toward the boat
      launch. Continue past the covered picnic tables to
      some uncovered ones and park. Walk the path through
      the rocks. The bird was to the right of the right-most
      duck blind and thus a fair distance away. By 10 am the
      heatwaves made viewing tough; on a return trip with
      Todd McGrath and Mike San Miguel at about noon it was
      even worse.
      At about 11, a single Blue-footed Booby was seen on
      Mullett Island by myself, Todd, Mike and several other
      birders from the west end of McDonald. The distance
      was great and if the bird wasn't silhouetted against
      the sky I doubt that we would have ever found it.
      Steve Glover
      Dublin, CA