Re: [CALBIRDS] Tropical Storm John and Salton Sea pelagics

  • Thomas Miko
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2006
      Hi Brian and Calbirders,
      I have been wondering i.e. hoping that these storms, combined with the warm water this summer would bring us birds that would be 5 star birds on the Condor pelagic next week out of Santa Barbara, out to deep water. What do you guys think???
      Tom

      >From: Brian Sullivan <heraldpetrel@...>
      >Date: 2006/09/03 Sun AM 10:41:46 CDT
      >To: CALBIRDS <CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: [CALBIRDS] Tropical Storm John and Salton Sea pelagics

      >Birders
      >
      >I know many of you are watching Tropical Storm John with a careful
      >eye, but I thought it might be good to post about the potential for
      >this storm to bring pelagics to the Salton Sea. Some of the computer
      >models are forecasting a track just west of the Sea, which could put
      >things like Least Storm-Petrel and Black Storm-Petrel on the Salton
      >Sea. Remember, this storm was a category 4 hurricane at one time, and
      >it's possible that it could entrain species like Cook's Petrel as
      >well. It looks like perhaps Tuesday would be the day to look at the
      >sea, or possibly even tomorrow. The likelihood of more Boobies are
      >maybe a few Frigatebirds to end up at the sea is high. I hope to be
      >able to get down there myself and I look forward to hearing about any
      >storm-blown birds at the Sea.
      >
      >Thanks
      >
      >--
      >Brian L. Sullivan
      >eBird Project Leader
      ><www.ebird.org>
      >Photographic Editor,
      >Birds of North America Online
      ><http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA/>
      >Cornell Lab of Ornithology
      >159 Sapsucker Woods Rd.
      >Ithaca, NY 14850
      >
      >Photographic Editor,
      >North American Birds
      >American Birding Association
      ><www.americanbirding.org>
      >
      >bls42@...
      >609-694-3280
      >
      >For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email to these addresses:
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Thomas Miko (Mikó Tamás)

      thomas.miko@...
      thomas_miko@...

      653 S. Indian Hill Blvd., #C
      Claremont, CA 91711
      U.S.A.
      34.109167 N, 117.718293 W

      home: (909) 445-1456
      cell: (626) 390-1935
      work: (323) 226-7855

      FRS radio channel 11 code 22

      http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/birdsofhungary
      "The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast."
      -Oscar Wilde