Tropical Storm John and Salton Sea pelagics

  • Brian Sullivan
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3 8:41 AM
      Birders

      I know many of you are watching Tropical Storm John with a careful
      eye, but I thought it might be good to post about the potential for
      this storm to bring pelagics to the Salton Sea. Some of the computer
      models are forecasting a track just west of the Sea, which could put
      things like Least Storm-Petrel and Black Storm-Petrel on the Salton
      Sea. Remember, this storm was a category 4 hurricane at one time, and
      it's possible that it could entrain species like Cook's Petrel as
      well. It looks like perhaps Tuesday would be the day to look at the
      sea, or possibly even tomorrow. The likelihood of more Boobies are
      maybe a few Frigatebirds to end up at the sea is high. I hope to be
      able to get down there myself and I look forward to hearing about any
      storm-blown birds at the Sea.

      Thanks

      --
      Brian L. Sullivan
      eBird Project Leader

      Photographic Editor,
      North American Birds
      American Birding Association
      <www.americanbirding.org>

      bls42@...
      609-694-3280
      -------------------------------
    • Thomas Miko
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3 3:54 PM
        Hi Brian and Calbirders,
        I have been wondering i.e. hoping that these storms, combined with the warm water this summer would bring us birds that would be 5 star birds on the Condor pelagic next week out of Santa Barbara, out to deep water. What do you guys think???
        Tom

        >From: Brian Sullivan <heraldpetrel@...>
        >Date: 2006/09/03 Sun AM 10:41:46 CDT
        >To: CALBIRDS <CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [CALBIRDS] Tropical Storm John and Salton Sea pelagics

        >Birders
        >
        >I know many of you are watching Tropical Storm John with a careful
        >eye, but I thought it might be good to post about the potential for
        >this storm to bring pelagics to the Salton Sea. Some of the computer
        >models are forecasting a track just west of the Sea, which could put
        >things like Least Storm-Petrel and Black Storm-Petrel on the Salton
        >Sea. Remember, this storm was a category 4 hurricane at one time, and
        >it's possible that it could entrain species like Cook's Petrel as
        >well. It looks like perhaps Tuesday would be the day to look at the
        >sea, or possibly even tomorrow. The likelihood of more Boobies are
        >maybe a few Frigatebirds to end up at the sea is high. I hope to be
        >able to get down there myself and I look forward to hearing about any
        >storm-blown birds at the Sea.
        >
        >Thanks
        >
        >--
        >Brian L. Sullivan
        >eBird Project Leader
        ><www.ebird.org>
        >Photographic Editor,
        >Birds of North America Online
        ><http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA/>
        >Cornell Lab of Ornithology
        >159 Sapsucker Woods Rd.
        >Ithaca, NY 14850
        >
        >Photographic Editor,
        >North American Birds
        >American Birding Association
        ><www.americanbirding.org>
        >
        >bls42@...
        >609-694-3280
        >
        >For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email to these addresses:
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Thomas Miko (Mikó Tamás)

        thomas.miko@...
        thomas_miko@...

        653 S. Indian Hill Blvd., #C
        Claremont, CA 91711
        U.S.A.
        34.109167 N, 117.718293 W

        home: (909) 445-1456
        cell: (626) 390-1935
        work: (323) 226-7855

        FRS radio channel 11 code 22

        http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/birdsofhungary
        "The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast."
        -Oscar Wilde