Re: [CALBIRDS] Watch for marked Elegant Terns

  • Gjon_Hazard@fws.gov
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 18, 2006
      Kimball, you wrote (in part):

      > Monday morning (14 August) the International Bird Rescue
      > and Research
      > Center in San Pedro released nine juvenile Elegant Terns at Cabrillo
      > Beach, San Pedro, Los Angeles County. These birds were
      > found as chicks
      > after the nesting colonies of Elegant and Caspian Terns on the two
      > barges in Long Beach Harbor were destroyed (an
      > investigation into the
      > criminal act of destroying these colonies is still underway but
      > apparently proceeding well). The young birds were raised
      > at the IBRRC
      > and have shown the ability to catch fish in the flight cages there.
      >
      > You can help monitor the effectiveness of the
      > rehabilitation and release
      > process by watching out for these nine young Elegant Terns. All are
      > banded with a metal Fish and Wildlife Service band on the
      > right leg and
      > TWO BRIGHT ORANGE BANDS ON THE LEFT LEG. Additional, all
      > have dabs of a
      > BRIGHT GREEN DYE (non-toxic) ON THE CHEST and the upper
      > surface of the
      > LEFT WING (just inside the wrist joint); this dye will probably fade
      > within days or weeks.
      >
      > Since Elegant Terns normally associate with one of their
      > parents (and
      > continue to be fed by them) for several weeks after fledging, the
      > survival probability of these juvenile terns is unknown. For this
      > reason we are especially interested in sightings (or, of course, of
      > recoveries of dead birds).

      No doubt this is will get reported to you via other channels, but one such
      bird was discovered today (8/18) at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton in
      northern San Diego County as part of the Base's ongoing tern monitoring.
      The bird was not well. It was captured and sent to Project Wildlife, a San
      Diego-based rehab facility.

      Cheers,
      -Gj

      ====================================