TOO MANY SEABIRDS!

  • Debi Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2006
      Hello, Seabirders,

      Shearwater Journeys' pelagic trip from Bodega Bay on August 15, 2006
      departed from Port O' Bodega about 7 am. Immediately, we were
      surrounded by 150 migrating PIGEON GUILLEMOTS just outside the harbor
      entrance! This was just the start of a day with thousands and thousands
      of seabirds. It was an absolutely dizzying mass of swirling and feeding
      seabirds which continued throughout the entire day. We went
      approximately 29 miles offshore to the 900 fathom line. The sea surface
      temperature was 56-57 F, perfect for the ASHY STORM-PETRELS. From the
      harbor out to the furthest point offshore, the ocean was loaded with
      bait fish, and seabirds and humpbacks feeding on them.

      Highlights of this trip included: 3 LAYSAN ALBATROSSES (unusual at this
      time of year), 75 BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSSES, the first sightings this
      fall of FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER, a SHORT-TAILED SHEARWATER (possibly a
      record early date), small flocks of BULLER'S SHEARWATERS sitting on the
      water, 1200 PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATERS, and more than 100,000 SOOTY
      SHEARWATERS. Scattered, small flocks of ASHY STORM-PETRELS were found,
      along with one fly-by WILSON'S STORM-PETREL. The jaeger show was good,
      with all three species represented. SABINE'S GULLS numbers are now
      increasing, and we found the first ARCTIC TERNS of the season.
      Hundreds of COMMON MURRES were scattered from the shoreline, to well
      offshore. A single TUFTED PUFFIN circled our vessel. The "darling" of
      the trip was a newly fledged BROWN-HEADED COWBIRD, who entertained us
      by picking at crumbs on the deck, catching kelp flies, and napping on
      the toilet seat! Marine mammals put on quite a show, with bowriding
      DALL'S PORPOISES, and lunge-feeding HUMPBACK WHALES, gulping huge
      amounts of baby sardines.

      The leaders on this very birdy day were Peter Pyle, Steve Howell, Lisa
      Hug, and Debra Shearwater. The complete species list follows. Our next
      trip from Bodega Bay to the Cordell Bank and Bodega Canyon is on
      Monday, August 28th. This trip can be combined with the two trips from
      Fort Bragg on August 25 & 26, and a day of landbirding along the
      Highway 1 coastline on August 27th. Our next trip from Monterey is
      Friday, August 18th. Please contact Jennifer Green at 831/479-3521
      before 9 pm or greenotr@... for reservations for these trips.
      Debra will return to the office on August 29th.

      AUGUST 18, 2006 BODEGA CANYON & CORDELL BANK:

      LAYSAN ALBATROSS-3
      BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS-75
      NORTHERN FULMAR-20
      PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER-1200