NO Booby Friday

  • Bert Harris
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2006
      Sorry for the late post-I had two long travel days. I searched for the Blue-footed Boobies Friday morning from 6 am until 1 pm. We (Mike San Miguel, Kathy ?, Lucy ?, and Nick ?) worked the west dike (both from the shore of the sea and from an elevated view on the dike) and 76 ave. There were a lot of both species of pelicans but Mike said Caspian Tern numbers were way down. It was difficult to get a good look at the resting pelicans from 76 because the light was bad early and the heat shimmer was terrible late. The others planned to look for the boobies in the afternoon. I hope they were successful!

      Of note, Mike and I found an adult Western Gull on the shore where the west dike meets the sea (previously reported by Guy McKaskie I believe). Later we had a Ruddy Turnstone in the same location and Mike found a juv Semipalmated Sandpiper at Johnson rd.

      Best of luck to those who brave the sea!

      -Bert Harris
      Huntsville, AL