Los Angeles Audubon Society Shorebird Identification Workshop

  • Nick & Mary Freeman
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9, 2006
      Hi Birders

      The Jon Dunn Shorebird Workshop is coming up this Saturday, and
      shorebirds are here! Last Monday, a Piping Plover was discovered at
      the South End of the Salton Sea. If one of us were lucky enough to
      stumble across such a bird, would it stick out like a (slightly) sore
      thumb, or go unnoticed? Maybe a shorebird brush-up is in order. Jon
      Dunn's credentials and qualifications are as long as my arm, so I
      won't bore you with them. Suffice it to say, if you want to learn a
      lot about shorebirds from someone who knows, you should consider
      attending. Here are the details of the Los Angeles Audubon Society
      Shorebird Identification Workshop:

      Lecture: Saturday, August 12, 1:00PM to 5:00PM at Eaton Canyon Nature
      Center, Pasadena
      Field trip: Sunday, August 13, 8:00AM until Noon or 1:00PM; location
      LA River, limited to 18, (FULL)

      Lecture: After building a foundation of basic identification skills
      for our more expected shorebird species, Jon will address at length
      the important skill of ageing shorebirds, and techniques for
      discriminating among the less familiar species encountered in the ABA
      area. Slides will be used to demonstrate I.D. marks of shorebirds in
      their various plumages. Distribution and timing of occurance will
      also be stressed. Binoculars are always a good idea for slide
      programs. Cookies and coffee. Meet at Eaton Canyon Nature Center,
      Altadena, from 1:00PM to 5:00PM. Limit: 80. Lecture fee: $25. If you
      are not already signed up, payment will be accepted at the door.

      The Speaker: Our speaker will be the amiable yet authoritative Jon
      Dunn, who leads field trips to far-flung locations including Alaska,
      Thailand, and California (all places with remarkable shorebird
      migrations); presently sits on the California Bird Records Committee;
      is the primary consultant for the National Geographic Society´┐Żs field
      guide to the Birds of North America (5th edition Nov, 2006!), and has
      co-written two top-notch books on bird ID and distribution with our
      own Kimball Garrett. As such, he is extraordinarily qualified to
      speak on aspects of shorebirds and many other North American bird
      families.

      Directions to Eaton Canyon Nature Center:

      From the west: take the Pasadena (210) Fwy east to Pasadena, exit N.
      Altadena Dr., and head north, continuing 0.6 miles past New York Dr.
      to the next small street on the right, which leads to the parking lot
      for the Eaton Cyn. Nature Center (Robert M. McCurdy Nature Center on
      some maps) at 1750 N. Altadena Dr., Pasadena.

      From the east: take the Pasadena (210) Fwy west to Pasadena, exit N.
      Sierra Madre Blvd., take this frontage road (Maple St.) straight
      through the light, and turn N (Rt.) on N. Altadena Dr. Pass New York
      Dr., and continue 0.6 miles to the next small street on the right.

      See you there!

      Nick & Mary Freeman
      LA Audubon Chairs for Field Trips & Programs
      Purveyors of Fine Bird and Reptile Sightings
      Glendale, CA
      mnfreeman@...