Blue-footed Booby- 8/9

  • Kevin Pickard
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2006
      I got to the Whitewater River mouth at the Salton Sea at 6:45 this morning to hear from the two birders that were already there, that they had seen the Blue-footed Booby five minutes earlier being harassed by terns.
      I may have seen it briefly in the distance around 8am. Then at 10:35am it came from the south with a half dozen Caspian Terns in tow. As it approached closer to the shore a dozen more Terns joined the fray. It was so bad, a fellow birder from Baltimore, Maryland wondered aloud why it would stay around here with this kind of treatment.
      The Booby flew in large circles for a few minutes, while the Terns continued harassing, giving us many good looks at the bird. The Booby then flew south, back out onto the lake and the Terns all stayed behind. Finally alone, it turned northwest and flew about 2/3 the distance to the west shore and landed on the water. After about 15 minutes I left.
      My thanks to all who previously posted on this great bird, especially for the detailed directions on how to get there!
      Kevin Pickard
      Thousand Oaks