Yellow Grosbeak -- same bird?

  • John Puschock
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2006
      Hi,

      I originally thought that the odds of the bird currently in Inyo County and
      the one that was in New Mexico last winter being one and the same would be
      slim to none. Now I'm not so sure. The plumage of the two birds at first
      glance doesn't seem to be consistent with the "one bird hypothesis", but
      perhaps this is due to the Inyo bird molting right now. (Disclaimer: I know
      nothing about molt timing in Yellow Grosbeaks.)

      A posting to ID-Frontiers (available at
      http://www.surfbirds.com/phorum/read.php?f=51&i=4753&t=4753) mentions the
      New Mexico bird being unable to close its bill and also underdeveloped or
      damaged flank feathers, particularly on its left side. The bird in Inyo
      County apparently shares both traits. These things are visible in Bob
      Steele's photographs. I have also posted some photos that I took today
      (8/02) that appear to show the same features. They are available at the
      following URLs (note that they are case-sensitive):

      http://www.sdbirding.com/YEGR5291.JPG
      http://www.sdbirding.com/YEGR5298.JPG

      I don't know enough about Yellow Grosbeaks to claim that we're dealing with
      the same bird in both locations or not, nor am I claiming that this will
      affect the countability of the bird. But I am throwing it out there for
      discussion.

      John Puschock
      San Diego, CA
      g_g_allin@...