Yellow Grosbeak Arz. posting

  • quail442003
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2006
      More RBARZ comments on the Yellow Grosbeak found in June 2006.
      The Yellow Grosbeak has gained my attention,so I saved all the
      postings.
      I guess it is synchronicity , but somewhere in time I've been
      thinking this bird would re-appear. When the Arz. siting was posted
      I immedately asked about the lower mandible in June.
      Now a third YG in California or the same bird ??
      Can someone get a good photo of the lower mandible and post the
      photo?
      This is an obsession, not a fetish.
      Rich Cimino
      Pleasanton, Cal.
      ABA member 94566

      Hi Rich,

      The bird was seen under a canopy. As far as I could see there was no
      discernable groove,
      GB

      Patrick

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2006
        Hello Rich, Padraigh, and All,

        A crowd of birders (inlcuding myself, David Moody, and Ed Stonick) quietly sttod in front of trailers # 11 and 19, and spent over an hour and a half this morning watching and photographing the bird.

        Yes, the bird's lower mandible is noticeably larger than the upper, and is not as illustrated in any of my field guides. Yes, the bird looks exactly like the photos of the Albuquerque bird.
        So, what does this mean???

        Well, despite my tongue-in-cheek question last night in the same vein, the obvious answer is that the Albuquerque bird should have become an adult by now, so theoretically we could have a Peter Pan Grosbeak who refuses to grow up, or who is so malnourished from being a pet store Tijuana special, that like an Axolotl, he cannot morph into an adult.

        How likely is this?

        How long DOES it take Yellow Grosbeaks to attain adult plumage?

        Is this perhaps a normal variant for immature Yellow Grosbeaks (regardless of gender?)???

        In my personal opinion, the bird is a legitimate wild bird, and this large lower mandible question is worthy of discussion, but not necessarily proof of any captivity. I'm putting the Big Guy on my lifelist, and of course, my California list.

        I look forward to hearing from people who have looked at a lot of them in Me ji co.

        Tom

        >From: quail442003 <rscimino@...>
        >Date: 2006/08/02 Wed AM 12:28:12 CDT
        >To: CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [CALBIRDS] Yellow Grosbeak Arz. posting

        >More RBARZ comments on the Yellow Grosbeak found in June 2006.
        >The Yellow Grosbeak has gained my attention,so I saved all the
        >postings.
        >I guess it is synchronicity , but somewhere in time I've been
        >thinking this bird would re-appear. When the Arz. siting was posted
        >I immedately asked about the lower mandible in June.
        >Now a third YG in California or the same bird ??
        >Can someone get a good photo of the lower mandible and post the
        >photo?
        >This is an obsession, not a fetish.
        >Rich Cimino
        >Pleasanton, Cal.
        >ABA member 94566
        >
        >Hi Rich,
        >
        >The bird was seen under a canopy. As far as I could see there was no
        >discernable groove,
        >GB
        >
        >Patrick

        Thomas Miko (Mikó Tamás)

        thomas.miko@...
        thomas_miko@...

        653 S. Indian Hill Blvd., #C
        Claremont, CA 91711
        U.S.A.
        34.109167 N, 117.718293 W

        home: (909) 445-1456
        cell: (626) 390-1935
        work: (323) 226-7855

        FRS radio channel 11 code 22

        http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/birdsofhungary
        "The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast."
        -Oscar Wilde