Re: Re: [CALBIRDS] Yellow Grosbeak in Inyo County

  • Thomas Miko
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
      Calbirders,
      Having looked at the photos of the New Mexico bird and the Inyo County bird, the obvious question is why isn't it the same bird?
      Tom

      >From: "g.tepke@..." <g.tepke@...>
      >Date: 2006/08/01 Tue PM 07:55:59 CDT
      >To: CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] Yellow Grosbeak in Inyo County

      >Calbirders,
      >
      >Thanks to Bob Steele and Joe Morlan for making these photos available. I
      >noticed that the lower mandible is longer than the upper, just like an
      >immature male Yellow Grosbeak that spent last winter and spring in
      >Albuquerque NM:
      >
      >http://www.pbase.com/gtepke/yellow_grosbeak
      >
      >In the case of the Albuquerque bird, that feature was used as an argument
      >for captive origin - the mandibles were supposedly malformed due to an
      >improper diet while in captivity. I don't how that question was resolved,
      >if it ever was. If the argument is true, that would suggest the Inyo
      >County bird is of captive origin. Or maybe longer lower mandibles are
      >normal in immature males. Does anyone know?
      >
      >Glen Tepke
      >Oakland
      >g.tepke (at) comcast (dot) net
      >www.pbase.com/gtepke

      Thomas Miko (Mikó Tamás)

      thomas.miko@...
      thomas_miko@...

      653 S. Indian Hill Blvd., #C
      Claremont, CA 91711
      U.S.A.
      34.109167 N, 117.718293 W

      home: (909) 445-1456
      cell: (626) 390-1935
      work: (323) 226-7855

      FRS radio channel 11 code 22

      http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/birdsofhungary
      "The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast."
      -Oscar Wilde
    • Ken Burton
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
        To me, the plumage indicates an immature male of the race aurantiacus of Chiapas and Guatemala, further suggesting captive origin.

        Ken Burton
        McKinleyville