Re: [CALBIRDS] Yellow Grosbeak in Inyo County

  • Joseph Morlan
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
      On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 14:13:50 -0700, "Kimball Garrett" <kgarrett@...>
      wrote:

      >It was seen today by Guy McCaskie and others and
      >photographed by Bob Steele.

      Thanks to a generous contribution by Bob Steele, two photo of this bird can
      be seen at:

      http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/gallery.htm

      Enjoy!

      --
      Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
      Fall Birding Classes start Sept 6 http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
        Calbirders,

        Thanks to Bob Steele and Joe Morlan for making these photos available. I
        noticed that the lower mandible is longer than the upper, just like an
        immature male Yellow Grosbeak that spent last winter and spring in
        Albuquerque NM:

        http://www.pbase.com/gtepke/yellow_grosbeak

        In the case of the Albuquerque bird, that feature was used as an argument
        for captive origin - the mandibles were supposedly malformed due to an
        improper diet while in captivity. I don't how that question was resolved,
        if it ever was. If the argument is true, that would suggest the Inyo
        County bird is of captive origin. Or maybe longer lower mandibles are
        normal in immature males. Does anyone know?

        Glen Tepke
        Oakland
        g.tepke (at) comcast (dot) net
        www.pbase.com/gtepke

        >It was seen today by Guy McCaskie and others and
        >photographed by Bob Steele.

        Thanks to a generous contribution by Bob Steele, two photo of this bird can
        be seen at:

        http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/gallery.htm

        Enjoy!

        --
        Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
        Fall Birding Classes start Sept 6 http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/

        http://mail2web.com/ .
      • Thomas Miko
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
          Calbirders,
          Having looked at the photos of the New Mexico bird and the Inyo County bird, the obvious question is why isn't it the same bird?
          Tom

          >From: "g.tepke@..." <g.tepke@...>
          >Date: 2006/08/01 Tue PM 07:55:59 CDT
          >To: CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] Yellow Grosbeak in Inyo County

          >Calbirders,
          >
          >Thanks to Bob Steele and Joe Morlan for making these photos available. I
          >noticed that the lower mandible is longer than the upper, just like an
          >immature male Yellow Grosbeak that spent last winter and spring in
          >Albuquerque NM:
          >
          >http://www.pbase.com/gtepke/yellow_grosbeak
          >
          >In the case of the Albuquerque bird, that feature was used as an argument
          >for captive origin - the mandibles were supposedly malformed due to an
          >improper diet while in captivity. I don't how that question was resolved,
          >if it ever was. If the argument is true, that would suggest the Inyo
          >County bird is of captive origin. Or maybe longer lower mandibles are
          >normal in immature males. Does anyone know?
          >
          >Glen Tepke
          >Oakland
          >g.tepke (at) comcast (dot) net
          >www.pbase.com/gtepke

          Thomas Miko (Mikó Tamás)

          thomas.miko@...
          thomas_miko@...

          653 S. Indian Hill Blvd., #C
          Claremont, CA 91711
          U.S.A.
          34.109167 N, 117.718293 W

          home: (909) 445-1456
          cell: (626) 390-1935
          work: (323) 226-7855

          FRS radio channel 11 code 22

          http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/birdsofhungary
          "The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast."
          -Oscar Wilde
        • Ken Burton
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
            To me, the plumage indicates an immature male of the race aurantiacus of Chiapas and Guatemala, further suggesting captive origin.

            Ken Burton
            McKinleyville